We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What months are high and low seasons?

uk
8 posts
Save Topic
What months are high and low seasons?

I am planning to visit India for 3 months commencing Nov 2008. Darjeeling is one of the places we want to visit and need to decide whether to start in Kolcatta and on to Darjeeling or start in Delhi and work our way east. I am struggling to find information about weather cOnditions. We would prefer to go when it is warm! Any advise or information would be great.

Thanks Barb

Mentioned in this post
Darjeeling
Darjeeling
Darjeeling District, India
Bangalore
Level Contributor
121 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What months are high and low seasons?

Low season in Darjeeling is June - September. Mid season is December to February and high season is March to May and September to November. If you are looking at warm weather in Darjeeling - you might not find it for the 3 months commencing Nov 2008 ! BBC Weather website has good information on average temperatures in Darjeeling (bbc.co.uk/weather/…)

And answering your question on where to start - it really depends on your itinerary. If you have an option of landing in India directly at the Kolkata airport, then you can begin there. Otherwise, the Delhi has to be your choice. There are flights to Baghdodra (the airport nearest to Darjeeling) from both Delhi and Kolkata - so there is really not much of a difference.

-Srik

Mentioned in this post
Darjeeling
Darjeeling
Kolkata (Calcutta)
Kolkata (Calcutta)
Kolkata District, India
Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What months are high and low seasons?

I've been to Darjeeling a couple of time recently. Both visits were in December and the weather was good. In fact, on my visit in 2003, the weather was such that I sat outside in shirtsleeves. Temp was around 70 degrees. It does, however, get extremely chilly in the evenings and early morning.

Kolkata is a very pleasant 70/75 degrees in December generally speaking.

Have a look at http://darjeelingnews.net/ for local weather reports

Tony

Mentioned in this post
Kolkata (Calcutta)
Kolkata (Calcutta)
Kolkata District, India
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What months are high and low seasons?

Depends what you mean by warm! Darjeeling, by Indian standards, is never warm!

The weather right now is cold, it is winter. Current temperatures range from 14°C in the day time, to -6°C at night. It will be cold until February.

wunderground.com/global/stations/42295.html

Indians visit Darjeeling in the summer months - March to June. While Darjeeling is cooler than the baking heat of the plains during the summer, it is still quite warm in summer. If I were you, I'd start in Delhi, and then go to Darjeeling towards the end of the visit.

If you're looking for a nice place to hole up for a cozy quiet retreat, try this: http://www.makaibari.com/

Mentioned in this post
Darjeeling
Darjeeling
uk
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What months are high and low seasons?

Thanks to you all for useful info, I am getting more of a feel for the climate. I will keep my eye on the BBC weather website, wish I had started to look there in Nov. We are now wondering if it might be wiser to start our 3 month trip in Jan and end up in Darjeeling in March.

Any other info will be great..I have now found how to look at past messages and responses. What a great website I am getting quite excited already!

Thanks Barb

Mentioned in this post
Darjeeling
Darjeeling
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What months are high and low seasons?

March in Darjeeling has usually great weather, but occasional showers may happen. It will still be cold, but getting warmer everyday. You can plan your trip for mid March.

By the way Deepa, Makaibari is not in Darjeeling proper. Its in Kurseong. Its a two hour drive up to Darjeeling from there. It might be a good place to stay if you don't mind not staying in Darjeeling proper.

Mentioned in this post
Darjeeling
Darjeeling
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What months are high and low seasons?

The Makaibari site said 35 km from Darjeeling, I didn't realise it was two hours. I guess the roads are small and winding?

Mentioned in this post
Darjeeling
Darjeeling
7. Re: What months are high and low seasons?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 21:17