We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haze in Darjeeling

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
143 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Haze in Darjeeling

Hi all,

I am just back from a 7-day holiday in the Darjeeling hills and wanted to report that i couldnt enjoy a single sighting of the Kanchenjunga peaks, due to a permanent cloud/haze which seems to have enveloped the region. I did darjeeling-Gangtok-Kalimpong, but found that thick haze impaired visibility on all days of my trip, and I could only see till the outlines of the adjoining hills with very little detail inside. There was no rain, just a thick haze and overcast skies.

Prior to my trip I had scoured the internet for advice on the best time to visit for clear views of the Kanchenjunga, but only found vague hints that March-May and Sept-Dec are the best times to visit.

So if you are planning a visit there soon and want to view the peak, do check out the local weather conditions ! Also, can someone share whats the best time of the year to get a guaranteed clear view of the Kanchenjunga ?

Mentioned in this post
Darjeeling
Darjeeling
Darjeeling District, India
Gangtok
Gangtok
East Sikkim, India
Kalimpong
Kalimpong
Kalimpong District, India
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haze in Darjeeling

There are no guarantees, but generally I find the visibility at its best in Oct-Nov.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haze in Darjeeling

My past two visits have been in December. The first in 2003 Kanchenjunga was visible for about three days, in 2005 it was visible for a whole week,with blue skies adding to the spectacle. It really is a hit and miss affair as brave1 has pointed out!

Even in my schooldays, and I was there 9 months of the year, you could never be certain of the views from one day to the next!! Generally speaking I would go for the Oct/Dec period. Hope that helps!

Tony

3. Re: Haze in Darjeeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 05:20