We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalimpong/Lava/Assam

Paris, France
5 posts
Save Topic
Kalimpong/Lava/Assam

Dear Snandi. You seem to know more than a bit of Assam. We go overthere in Feb. We plan to go to Majuli but what about Lava, l have read nothing about Lava. Tell us what to see and do in Assam, besides the traditional tourist tours. Thanks in advance.

Calcutta
Level Contributor
284 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalimpong/Lava/Assam

Dear Tekkah

Sorry for the delay - have been busy and missed this post. I dont know much about Assam - except for the Kaziranga Rhino Sanctuary (quite nice) - the Kamakshya Temple near Gwahati (Assam's state capital). A road journey can take you to Shillong. Its a hill station with nice lakes. But not safe after dark - so stay indoors after sunset.

Kalimpong and Lava are in West Bengal ( neighbouring state of Assam). I have been to both these places and I would definitely recommend a trip. The easiest way to reach them is to land at Bagdogra Airport and take a prepaid cab. Otherwise you can take a train to the New Jalpaiguri Station (also called NJP) and then travel from there. Kalimpong is abount 2.5 hrs drive and Lava can take around an hour more. The forest department of West Bengal owns some loghuts ( only decent place to stay there). They are set on the woods and beautiful. I dont know when you are travelling but Winters can be very cold. Kalimpongs is a busy town - but quite a nice place - at least I liked it. There are many nice hotels - but we stayed at Hotel Silver Oaks - delightful little hotel.

Do lookup the website www.kalimpong.org.

Mentioned in this post
Kaziranga National Park
Kaziranga National Park
Nagaon District, India
Shillong
Shillong
East Khasi Hills District, India
Kalimpong
Kalimpong
Kalimpong District, India
Bagdogra Airport
Bagdogra Airport
Bagdogra, India
Jalpaiguri
Jalpaiguri
Jalpaiguri District, India
assam
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalimpong/Lava/Assam

Dear Tekkah,

I have just checked your post.

Assam is rally a nice destination to visit.

It is the gateway of india to the south east asia.

Assam is one of the seven states of North east India which is generally known as seven sisters. The other states are Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Mijoram, Tripura and Manipur. If you are planning to visit Assam then I suggest you to visit these places also. These are really ausome destinations untouched by the tourists. Now the Indian Government is taking initiatives to promote North East as the future destination of India (see incredibleindia.org)

Assam:

Bsides kaziranga, Assam has lots more to offer. You might have heard about Majuli. It is the largest river island of the world. And you may feel surprised to know that a French man graduating from indian institute of bamboo techology, Delhi has set up a beautiful bamboo resort in Majuli Island with the help of the local people.

Besides Kaziranga and Majuli, Assam has a rich cultural heritage. If you are a adventure seeker then I think Assam is the best place for it. Both Assam and Arunachal Pradesh have offer various wildlife parks and rain forests like Manas National Park, Nameri National Park, Namdafa rain forest, Pabitara Wildlife sanctuary and many more.

There is a place in assam called Mayong which is famous as the origin place of Black Magic in India. Now the tourism department has instituted a museum and guest house there whichis really very comfortable.

You can also enjoy a majistic river cruise in mighty Brahmaputra river which is rated as third by Outlook Traveller.

Arunachal Pradesh:

It is really the paradise in the east. The foot hills of Himalaya and the wildlife parks and the rain forests have made Arunachal one of the best adventure tourism destinations in India. A journey to Tawang which has the second larges Buddhist Monestry in the world via Sela Pass ( at an altitute of 14000 feet) is reallly breath taking. Besides these Arunachal is a nice destination to discover the ancient tribes.

Nagalannd:

It is a newly developing destination famous for its indegenous tribes.

Meghalaya:

Shillong, the Scottland of East is the capital of Meghalaya. The caves in Meghalaya offers immense possibilities for adventure tourism.

Last but not least, Serapoonjee, the wettest place in the earth is also there. You will find rain falls in all the 365 days of the world.

So please dont miss the trip to Assam. I can assure you that it will be the trip of your life time.

Raktim

Mentioned in this post
Kaziranga National Park
Kaziranga National Park
Nagaon District, India
Sela Pass
Sela Pass
275 Reviews
Tawang, India
India
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalimpong/Lava/Assam

Hi Snandi

Recently the site for wbtourim is not opening and i can not find the numbers and any other inforamation of gov lodges there. Can you help?

Canton of Aargau...
Destination Expert
for Darjeeling, Sikkim, Meghalaya
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalimpong/Lava/Assam

Hi Tekkah & Woverine,

I had been to Lava, Loleygoan, kalimpong and Darjeeling last year, and had made a posting entitled "Offbeat Places Around Darjeeling" - maybe a reading of the same might help.

Also there is very easy communication from New Jalpaiguri Rly Stn To Assam. There are overnight trains, which means that you dont waste daytime on travelling.

There are plenty of options in Assam and meghalaya as well - so do let us know about your specific interests - and we will be able to offer some more constructive advise.

Best Regards,

Mentioned in this post
Darjeeling
Darjeeling
Darjeeling District, India
Jalpaiguri
Jalpaiguri
Jalpaiguri District, India
5. Re: Kalimpong/Lava/Assam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 20:16