We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kolkata-Darjeeling-Gangtok-Shillong Travel Plan

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kolkata-Darjeeling-Gangtok-Shillong Travel Plan

Hi,

Please can you suggest if my itinerary is good for 9 days travel to cover North East part of India with 4 adults and 2 kids (both 6 years). My draft itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 - 8AM - Chennai to Kolkata flight (Stay in Kolkata and do local sight seeing)

Day 2 - Kolkata to Bagdogra flight (Catch a taxi to Darjeeling and stay)

Day 3 - Darjeeling sight seeing

Day 4 - Darjeeling to Gangtok

Day 5 - Gangtok (Tsomgo Lake & Nathula Pass)

Day 6 - Gangtok to Guwahati flight

Day 7 - Shillong sight seeing

Day 8 - Living Root Bridge, Mawlinnong & Cherapunjee,

Day 9 - 4PM- Guwahati to Chennai

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Bhutan, Darjeeling, Sikkim, Lava, Loleygaon, Rishop
Level Contributor
6,721 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kolkata-Darjeeling-Gangtok-Shillong Travel Plan

Day 8 is impossible. You can't cover Root Bridge and Sightseeing in Cherrapunjee along with Mawlynnong.

So you can either leave out Mawlynnong else you may follow the below suggestion.

I'd suggest you to limit yourself to 2 States only. As within 9 Days you can't cover 3 States and there's no meaning to do that as you'll be missing out things on each of them. Making a trip doesn't means just ticking off the destinations from your wish list.

Infact if you ask me, truely, Sikkim itself needs 2-3 weeks tour to check out all the places and a minimum of 7 days to check out the most interesting and popular ones. Even in Meghalaya, you need 3-4 Days atleast but 10 - 12 days is recommended if you really want to see true Meghalaya.

I'd suggest you the following itinerary instead.

Day 1 - 8AM - Chennai to Kolkata flight (Stay in Kolkata and do local sight seeing)

Day 2 - Kolkata to Bagdogra flight (Catch a taxi to Darjeeling and stay)

Day 3 - Darjeeling sight seeing

Day 4 - Darjeeling to Gangtok

Day 5 - Gangtok (Tsomgo Lake & Nathula Pass)

Day 6 - Gangtok to Lachen

Day 7 - Early Morning trip to Gurudongmar Lake and back to Lachen. Post lunch proceed to Lachung.

Day 8 - Early Morning trip to Yumthang and Zero Point and back to Lachung. Post lunch Proceed to Gangtok.

Day 9 - 4PM- Guwahati to Chennai

Day 6 - 8 comes under 2N/3D North Sikkim packaged tour.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
228 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kolkata-Darjeeling-Gangtok-Shillong Travel Plan

Most of the part except Day 8 looks fine.. a bit hectic though, considering the fact that you will have two 6 year old accompanying with you. But it won't be a show-stopper. Few observations -

For Day 6, I hope you meant Gangtok to Bagdogra by car and then flight to Guwahati (as Gangtok doesn't have an airport). Depending upon your flight timing, if you reach Guwahati well in time, travel straight to Shillong that evening itself. You should be able to reach Shillong quite comfortably. It'll save time for the next day sightseeing at Shillong.

For Day 8, if you want to cover the attractions that you mentioned, I would suggest to add one more day. If not possible, remove one attraction from your list. Stay at Cherrapunjee and start for Guwahati airport next morning from there (would be a bit hectic).

Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kolkata-Darjeeling-Gangtok-Shillong Travel Plan

Day 8- Root bridge, Mawlynnong village, Cherrapunjee will be very hectic to be covered in a single day. Visit either Mawlynong or Cherrapunjee.

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kolkata-Darjeeling-Gangtok-Shillong Travel Plan

Thanks Krishnandu, I want to avoid Lachen and Lachung due to the distance.

@Souvik_Dn: I have added one more day to see the places in Shillong so on day 7 -Cherapunjee and on day 8 Living Root Bridge, Mawlinnong. On day 9, I will return to Chennai in the evening.

Edited: 15 July 2016, 02:44
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Bhutan, Darjeeling, Sikkim, Lava, Loleygaon, Rishop
Level Contributor
6,721 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kolkata-Darjeeling-Gangtok-Shillong Travel Plan

In thay case it's fine :)

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
228 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kolkata-Darjeeling-Gangtok-Shillong Travel Plan

Looks fine now. By the way, I think you meant you're returning to Chennai on Day 10 (the return as per initial plan was on Day 9).

7. Re: Kolkata-Darjeeling-Gangtok-Shillong Travel Plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2017, 13:19