We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Darjeeling-kalimpong travel in August

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Darjeeling-kalimpong travel in August

Hello,

I have my tickets, hotels booked for Darjeeling and Kalimpong respectively for 15th August week.

I visit Darjeeling every year(been there in rainy season as well). So we are not expecting to see mountain view in August, or we are not going to do too much to sight seeing, we just plan to take rest in midst of greenery and clouds or take a stroll to mall road.That's why we planned this trip. But recent news of rohini road shutdown and landslide made us a bit worried. We are three adults and one kid. So our whole concern is regarding safety. Please help me understand if it's safe now to travel to these two places in August.

Mentioned in this post
Darjeeling
Darjeeling
Darjeeling District, India
Kalimpong
Kalimpong
Kalimpong District, India
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Bhutan, Darjeeling, Sikkim, Lava, Loleygaon, Rishop
Level Contributor
6,721 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Darjeeling-kalimpong travel in August

Well, if you are a regular traveler there, you must know that those areas are Landslide prone zone. And in many occurrence we have seen them to got cut off completely and various tourists were stranded. So nothing can be guaranteed about that.

So if you ask about safety, no one would suggest you to visit those areas in monsoon. But if you have visited there in monsoon (as you said), you must have experienced that lots of tourists go there even in monsoon and after such news.

So in simple way what I can suggest, if you don't want to take the risk, simply leave it, but if you really want to be there, just wait and watch and keep a tab on current news along with darjeelingtimes.com/

Hope that helps :)

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
228 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Darjeeling-kalimpong travel in August

Nicely stated Krishnandu, well informative.

Sunny, If you have already booked your hotels, you may wish not to cancel it right now. Just keep a watch on the situation. You have two more weeks in hand, and a lot can change (situation might get improved) during that time.

However, at the same time, I would just point it out that, traveling with a kid needs a little bit of more cautiousness. Even if you might have traveled to the region during monsoon, there is no harm in being a bit "less-brave" with your kid. And you are quite right in this case to be worried on the safety part.

With kids (I don't know the age of your child - assuming that s/he is quite small) accompanying with you in the trip, you usually have to ensure three things - food, accommodation, and emergency medical help. As you are traveling to Darjeeling and Kalimpong, medical help should be within your reach. Siliguri is not too far either.

So, in a nutshell, don't cancel your booking now; keep a close eye on the situation. If the road condition improves during your time of visit (if there is no road blockage), just go ahead. This is the only factor that you need to consider. Others are fine. But at the same time, trust your sixth sense. If, at any point of time, you feel uncomfortable to go ahead with the trip (with your kid), just call it off.

Mentioned in this post
Darjeeling
Darjeeling
Kalimpong
Kalimpong
Siliguri
Siliguri
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,721 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Darjeeling-kalimpong travel in August

I agree with Souvik_Dn, as your kid will be accompanying with you "there is no harm in being a bit "less-brave" with your kid".

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Darjeeling-kalimpong travel in August

Thanks for your suggestions..Can you suggest me any other place which can be traveled from NJP which is comparatively safer ? Also is Kalimpong is as landslide prone as Darjeeling ?

Mentioned in this post
Kalimpong
Kalimpong
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,721 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Darjeeling-kalimpong travel in August

No Kalimpong is not as land slide prone as Darjeeling.

From NJP, you may try Lava, Loleygaon, Rishap, Kolakham, Pedong, Charkhole etc. which is near Kalimpong.

Otherwise you may also try Dooars from NJP. Well lots of options are there from NJP.

But August being monsoon, if you do visit any of those places, try not to be much adventurous, as you cannot rule out the presence of leech in roads.

Well this is not to make you afraid, but just a suggestion to stay away from trees and bushes and corner of roads where presence of leech is expected.

Mentioned in this post
Kalimpong
Kalimpong
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Darjeeling-kalimpong travel in August

Thanks again for your valuable suggestions. It seems that I might just go to Kalimpong and rest for three four days there. Meanwhile I will keep a close watch on situation there and Darjeeling before cancelling my Darjeeling bookings.

Mentioned in this post
Kalimpong
Kalimpong
Darjeeling
Darjeeling
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,721 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Darjeeling-kalimpong travel in August

You may do that.

8. Re: Darjeeling-kalimpong travel in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2017, 12:17