We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melaka During Chinese New Year

Which Melaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Melaka During Chinese New Year

Hi all,

need some advise on traveling to Melaka during the coming chinese new year. I am planning for a short trip to melaka during that period, not too sure if shops / eateries are still open during this period. can anyone advise pls. thanks

20 replies to this topic
Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melaka During Chinese New Year

Hi Diviva,

Because next year's CNY falls on weekday (fom Monday), most tourist shops in Jonker Walk will be close on 1st or even 2nd day of New Year. These two days are also the normal off day for restaurants and shops as they are open throughout weekends.

Night market will be open as usual during weekend, including New Year's eve (Sunday) which should be happening with pubs and bars packed to capacity amidst the night market.

Shopping malls will still be partially open especially western fast food stores as most staff are non chinese.

So, if you visit after second day of CNY, it will be mostly business as usual.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melaka During Chinese New Year

hI, how will the celebration be on the 23 of january? Do i missmuch if I arrive 9 in the evening? Or are there festivities all night?

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melaka During Chinese New Year

Hi Karinae1

On the first and second day of Chinese New Year (CNY), most people will be busy visiting. You will hear firecracker and firework by children constantly but festivity in Jonker Walk is minimal. There are stage shows before and after CNY on the weekends.

From 3rd day onsward, there are lion dances everywhere in shops and houses to bring on good luck and prosperity.

You will still find shops open but mostly the malls on the first and second day of CNY (23-24Jan)

kuala lumpur
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Melaka During Chinese New Year

hi all,

my family and I will be visiting Melaka this coming CNY, 1st and 2nd day, and its drop on Sunday and Monday.

would like to know those attraction like Jonker street etc is it happening?

thanks

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melaka During Chinese New Year

Yes, I'll also like to know if Melaka is good during Chinese New Year 2013. Planning to travel on 8-12 Feb.

Would appreciate any advice.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melaka During Chinese New Year

Hi all,

Since 1st day falls on Sunday, the Jonker Walk shops (not all) and market will be open as usual. Monday may be quieter and Tuesday probably see more shops close as their weekly day off.

The most festive but possibly overwcrowded time in CNY eve where the night market stalls, pubs and temples can stay up to 2-3 am

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,028 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melaka During Chinese New Year

SInce it would be CNY ,important to book your hotel in advance..

Cebu Island...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Melaka During Chinese New Year

Hi there! im planning to make a trip to Melaka from KL on the 3rd day of Chinese New Year 2014. Any idea how traffic would be like? Would it presumably be the same 2hour bus ride?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,028 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melaka During Chinese New Year

3 rd day of Chinese New Year OK.more or less 2 hours ride.

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Melaka During Chinese New Year

Hi, I am going on the 31 Jan till 2 Jan. i am also wondering if the Jonker Street, shopping malls and restaurants will be open. Am afraid that the town will be very quiet since there are many Chinese staying.

Reply to: Melaka During Chinese New Year
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Melaka