We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matamanoa vs. Tokoriki

San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Matamanoa vs. Tokoriki

If you could spend 3 nights at either of these resorts, which would you choose and why? I am going to be traveling with a small group of adults/couples. Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Australia
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Matamanoa vs. Tokoriki

I havent been to matamanoa but I have stayed at Tokoriki this year and we loved it. The place is really beautiful. I wasnt epecting th gardens of the resort to be so good but they are so well looked after. Ive stayed in both the sunset pool villas and deluxe villas and both were very nice. Food was of a very good quality with breakfast being my favourite. Tokoriki is a wonderful place to spend a few relaxing days or there are plenty of tours and/or activities as well. We loved it. Happy planning:)

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Matamanoa vs. Tokoriki

Have stayed at both. Bures are very similar unless you go for the ones with plunge pool at Tokoriki. Food at Tokoriki is far better. Pool at Tokoriki is lovely but then Matamanoa has a lovely infinity pool too and the beaches at Matamanoa and the reef are much much better. Matamanoa is very much a couples resort as it Tokoriki for much of the year. Matamanoas a lot more activities than Tokoriki and the night life is fun though I have heard that Tokoriki has come alives since Ramsey became activities organizer he was formerey at Matamanoa.. For a few days I would go to Tokoriki for a longer stay I would go to Matamanoa.

Fiji
Level Contributor
469 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Matamanoa vs. Tokoriki

I have stayed at both and love both. The rooms are bigger at Matamanoa. The beach is better at Matamanoa. The atmosphere is definitely more social at Matamanoa. The food, drinks and activities are cheaper at Matamanoa. The Tokoriki bures all have outdoor showers. Tokoriki atmosphere is more "upscale" compared to Matamanoa. Tokoriiki had no cell phone access when I stayed there last (it was a few years ago!).

If you are only going for a few days, you might want to consider Lomani. It's mid-way between Matamanoa and Tokoriki in terms of price and the new bures are really nice. It's closer to the mainland (about 45 mins by boat) which means you won't have to spend half a day getting to the resort.

NSW South Coast
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Matamanoa vs. Tokoriki

We just got back from Matamanoa a couple of days ago and it really depends on what you're after. One thing is certain, if you're not able to secure a beachside villa. Don't bother! Seriously, the motel type accommodation is truly depressing and is reminiscent of a school holiday camp. But if you're there for the night time group activities, then it might not matter much to you.

The few days we were there, we had an on shore wind and there was nowhere really to hide from it as the main beach seems to cop the weather.

Also, might be an idea to brush up on your Italian :-)

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Matamanoa vs. Tokoriki

Matamanoas rooms are due to be renovated completely early next year. We have stayed in bothe the hotel rooms and the bures and opted for the Garden rooms as we really only slept there and took our showers there etc. spent the difference in money on staying there longer, we don't go on holiday to sty in the room and as long as the beds are comfy and the showers good ad the place clean we are happy. Rather stay longer.

Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Matamanoa vs. Tokoriki

Hi,

i have been looking at matamonoa for our honneymoon too in 2011, but after reading lots of bad reviews especially about there food im a bit scared to book there, why dont they get a better chef and better food ?

the island and rooms look very nice but that doesnt make up for bad food

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Matamanoa vs. Tokoriki

NFI- Adelaide

Have a look at Viwa island resort. It has large spacious bures all have lagoon views over the beautiful soft white sand beach. Food good, lovely staff. Very romantic. Have a look on the website for specials they usually have stay7 pay 5 or stay 5 pay4 or similar. Aussie owned and run.

Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Matamanoa vs. Tokoriki

thanks Hooked,

will do, also looking at navutu stars resort, such a shame about matamonoa

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Matamanoa vs. Tokoriki

NFI-ADELAIDE,

We arrived Viwa the day after Christmas 2008 and stayed through the New Year. It was an amazing experience bringing in the New Year with staff and one we will always treasure.

Send me your e-mail address in a private message, if you would like to see pictures of our vacation to Viwa. They will give you a good idea of the beach, bures, grounds, dining room, tours, etc. Will be my pleasure to share them with you.

Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Matamanoa vs. Tokoriki

Hi

thank you for the offer but after reading reviews here at Trip Advisor and following them on facebook we decided to book 7 nights in a grand bure at Navutu stars resort in march

Get answers to your questions about Matamanoa Island
;