We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Access by boat transfer to Matomanoa

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
5,288 posts
272 reviews
Save Topic
Access by boat transfer to Matomanoa

This islands sound great and we are in our 60's and love snorkelling which I believe is great and was wanting to go there..

Do they have a wharf when you get to the island or do you transfer into small boats?.

Another question is there a small shop or anything where you can buy water,milk (i dn't like the powered stuff they normally have in the rooms), biscuits etc

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Access by boat transfer to Matomanoa

There is no jetty at Matomanoa so you will have to transfer by small boat. The only island that have jettys are Plantation and Mana.

I would buy snacks, water etc before you get to the island as they will be cheaper. Also, I hate to tell you but all the milk in Fiji is long life.

Nola :)

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Access by boat transfer to Matomanoa

Hi

There is no jetty but the transfer from one boat to another is quite easy with strong arms there to help you. Buy some milk at a supermarket in Nadi you can keep it in the fridge in your room. Same goes for any snacks you want to take too. You might like to have a look at Navini island resort it has fantastic snorkeling and easy beach access and the food is better than at Matamanoa. Have a look at their website they offer some good specials. Small island but very friendly with lots of included daily excursions to other islands and snorkeling off outer reefs and handline fishing and village visits. A real little bit of paradise. Aussie owners are wonderful as are their staff, like staying with family not at a resort.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
5,288 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Access by boat transfer to Matomanoa

Thanks Nola,

I thought that might be the case and we have taken snacks,milk, water etc to most of the islands before. I don't mide long life milk it's just the powdered stuff I don't like.

I think soft bags would be the go rather than suitcases then. No one mentioned if they have a shop on the island but I take it from your comments that they do but it is very expenses.

I did look at Navini island (as hooked on Fiji suggested) but looks a little more expensive. I have heard the snorkelling off the beach is great at Matomanoa.

PS there is also a wharf at Musket Cove.

regards Keith

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Access by boat transfer to Matomanoa

That is true, Keith, there is a jetty at Musket Cove. Forgot as it is on the same island as Plantation.

I am sure you will be find with the transfer to Matamanoa. Suitcases will be fine as the resort staff will be carring them, not you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
475 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Access by boat transfer to Matomanoa

How much water do you recommend bringing? We're going in October for a week. Can you buy bottled water there?

Another question - what is the laundry situation like - can you do your own or does the resort do it?

thanks!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Access by boat transfer to Matomanoa

Hi Greytraveller,

There's also a jetty at Malolo Resort, if you are wanting somewhere with a jetty.

have a wonderful holiday

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
5,288 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Access by boat transfer to Matomanoa

I normally take a couple of large bottles of water 1.25lt and a couple of small ones 600ml and then just fill ythem up when going down on the sand to save going back to the bure/ all the time. Once one of the large bottles is empty I boil the water and then fill the bottle up to put in the fridge. This works for us as it becomes too heavy to carry too much but definately buy snacks ,chips etc at the Denarau wharf supermarket before going as this will save you some money.

I can't comment on the laundry facilities as I have not been there yet. Another question I do have though is someone mentioned snorkelling trips and I was wondering if they were free.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Access by boat transfer to Matomanoa

There is a jetty at Malolo, lifetravellerbrissy, but the big cat can't pull up to it, so you still have to transfer over in a small boat.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Access by boat transfer to Matomanoa

You're right Nola lol :)

I didn't think about that, I've only been in there on a smaller boat :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Access by boat transfer to Matomanoa

Thats Ok :)

I have only been over on a small boat as well.

I was on a day trip sitting at the bar having a drink when the big cat came so was able to see that it didn't dock at the jetty. The water mustn't be deep enough or something.

But at least they have jetty for the small boat and you don't have to try and get out on the beach.

Get answers to your questions about Matamanoa Island