We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on Sunrise/Sunset Bures

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Update on Sunrise/Sunset Bures

I will be at matamanoa in october and am having a difficult time deciding between requesting a bure on either the sunset or sunrise sides... im looking for an update to the conditions of the beaches on either side, as well as the pros and cons... it seems like sunrise bures 3-7 are your best bet if choosing that side ( further from heli pad and restaurant area?) and on the sunrise side bures between 14-17 seem best over there.. can anyone confirm this? my wife and I will be on honeymoon, we are relatively young at 27, not sure how interested be are in waking super early for sunrise but i would enjoy a nice beach view all day if i could still enjoy the sunset some place on the island... we will be booking our two week NZ/Fiji adventure shortly.. let me know your thoughts please !! thank you!!

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on Sunrise/Sunset Bures

For the best beach view the sunrise side is the best, easier beach access too as, unless it has rectified itself, erosion on the sunset beach side made getting on to the beach a little difficult. The sunset side bures actually faces south west. Wind, tide and storms can change the beaches but we have found the sunrise side to be consistent. Being such a small island you don't have far to go to get to the other side to view the sunset. A bure in the middle of the sunrise side would be best if you choose that side but be aware that the tennis courts are behind them, not too noisy but you will hear the helicopters arrive and depart wherever you are on the island, more so on the sunrise side but being too close to the restaurant/pool area can be noisy at any time.The middle bures on the sunset side are the quietest. The staff village is down the end of that side. Lovely island and resort I'm sure you will enjoy it.

2. Re: Update on Sunrise/Sunset Bures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 08:35
Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on Sunrise/Sunset Bures

so our travel agent requested a sunrise bure in the middle.. it was either that or middle of sunset.. ill take whatev is available and if no bueno maybe ask to change next available night...

does anyone know if a day trip to the tom hanks castaway island is worth it from matamanoa....

also is cloudbreak also something that would be possible to do while in fiji... take a boat out to the bar.. watch some people surf....

any input would be greatly appreciated...

we have 4 full days and 4 nights at matamanoa

Taranaki, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on Sunrise/Sunset Bures

We head to Matamanoa in 2 sleeps!!! We are thinking about doing the Modriki Island trip if time allows so I can report back when we return.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Update on Sunrise/Sunset Bures

Small world! Very cool, sounds good. Enjoy!

Taranaki, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update on Sunrise/Sunset Bures

Hi, we've just returned from Matamanoa but unfortunately as we arrived on Sat avo & left Tues morn we missed the "castaway" trip. It definitely sounded like a great trip, the island is very close to Matamanoa. Such a peaceful beautiful island. There was 1 helicopter that arrived about midday but only heard it depart so I wouldn't think it would be a huge issue with noise. There is construction happening by the staff village so if you can avoid that it'll be best. We had the villas which was on the very secluded beach, probably 400m walk to restaurant but we hung out at the villas all day except for eating so we didn't mind at all.

Can't help you with the cloud break but maybe the people at Viti WaterSports can help you - check out their website for contact details.

7. Re: Update on Sunrise/Sunset Bures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2016, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Matamanoa Island