We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

Which Shanghai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

Hello, my family went to Shanghai last Dec 09. Our tour guide brought us to Tong Ren Tang in Shanghai where they made us all sit down and massaged our legs. During the massage, they took our pulses and tried to sell us medicines for our sickness. My family paid a fortune for them and we know its high MARKED UP now. The tong ren tang website sells the same medicine at 1/4 the price. We can't do anything else now. The $$$ is paid but we're not sure if the medicine is safe to eat. Can anyone advise us on this please?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

From my perspective, the only thing you could do is to learn from it. Next time you buy your medicine in a pharmacy and not from one who gives you a leg massage. Not every Chinese is born with a degree in TCM. When I go to foot massages they also always try: "Your liver has problem, you drink too much alcohol". And I always think "Damn...how do you know?" ;-)

Singapore
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

Thank you for the reply. But before making the purchase, we have heard that Tong Ren Tang is reputable and Chinese-government approved. so we expected the medicine to be safe and fairly priced. Now that we know it was highly marked up, we're worried that Shanghai Tong Ren Tang might be a bogus, fake branch.

This Shanghai Tong Ren Tang was located at Xuhui District, No. 1888 Yishan Road. Can anyone advise on whether this branch is a genuine Tong Ren Tang branch?

Canberra
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

Hi Gokka

Yishan Road 1888 is a hotel called Rui Te. And I had a look at the tongrentang branches on the shanghai yellowpage, and found no branch locating on Yishan Road.

Thanks for pointing out the scam. I will be going to Shanghai in June, so hopefully I am more prepared.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
21,732 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

everyone knows shops visited by group tours are expensive or plain scams. You are under no obligation to buy. I never did.

There is no free lunch, or free foot massage.

"Government Approved" means it has a business license, nothing more.

Xiamen, China
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

Before you join a group tour especially to China by paying a cheaper fare, you should know that there are hidden costs like these.

Anyway it's good to let others know.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

i doubt the tong ren tang you went is the real one in Shanghai. in the traditional medince store they do the check for clients as well, but you can choose to buy the herbs or not by yourselves, plus if the medince is really that good and you can't get it elsewhere, they won't suggest you to buy it since the chinese herbs need to take for a long time and you need to do the re-check couple weeks so that they can tell if they need to adjust the prescription for you or not. and the truth is most Chinese herbs are not expensive at all!

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

Hi Gokka,

My parents just came back from shanghai!

The same scenario happened to them, my mom was telling me, they went to this FAMOUS chinese medical hall "Tong Ren Tang" they had foot rubs, doctors taking pulses and stuff.. The next thing they were persuading them to get all kind of medications. Pointing out all their weak points & that the pills they prescribe will cure..blablabla. They spend close to $4K(sgd) unknowingly!

The address on the "Name card" states

Ruite Hotel Annex Building,No.1888 Yishan Rd..,Xuhui,Shanghai,P.R.China

The address itself looks kinda fishy already.

Plus there wasn't any website provided, if its that "well-known" it should be stated on the card right?

My only concern is that if the pills they prescribed are safe for consumption?

100% Cordyceps Powder. Is it for real?

The packaging looks kinda budget too!

Please advise on this.

Thanks you

Conejo

Singapore
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

Hi conejo,

I think the safer thing to do is to discard the medicine (yes my family spent thousands of sing dollars on it too). I am unable to confirm the genuity of the branch, neither can anyone in this forum provide concrete answers besides opinions. We went to the Tong Ren Tang branch in Singapore but they couldnt confirm if the medicine was genuine or not as it came in pill form? What kind of reason is that.

We take it as a painful lesson. My family was too trusting and foolish. We have heard of Tong Ren Tang beforehand and believed the medicine was good, though expensive even by Singapore standards. Everyone at that center seemed sincere. We did question the high price but to us, money was never an issue when it comes to our health.

Sadly, the number of Chinese who believe in the effectiveness of TCM is dwindling. The scammers' intention to use TCM to con is especially myopic. Then again, it might not be the work of scammers? We never know. I do wish however, that the traditional chinese medicine industry is more regulated to build credibility.

Canberra
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

I don't think this has anything to do with regulations of the Chinese herbal medicine, but everything to do with exposing and punishing scammers.

Tong Ren Tang is a reputable provider of Chinese traditional medicine, and we even have their branch in Sydney.

I would strongly advise the victims take action to make formal complaints to the relevant agencies, such as the Chinese Ambassy in your country. If you don't, you will always feel like a loser.

The last time I got harrassed by people from Singapore over different political opinions, I visited the Singapore High Commission and lodged a report with the Singapore Police Force, and guess what? no more harrassment!

Best Regards

Singapore
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tong Ren Tang Shanghai SCAM

hey sphinx,

no offence intended, but Singapore's governance I believe is much better than China's. Theres better control and Singapore was never known for political pluralism. Opposition opinions most probably get stamped out as quickly as they get noticed. Also, I believe what harrassed you weren't political parties but private organisations (e.g. fa lun gong) Opposition politcal parties here can't harrass because they can't handle another lawsuit. Yes, they get sued for many things, including kangaroo t-shirts.