We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best wildlife reserves near Playa Negra

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Best wildlife reserves near Playa Negra

We are staying at Playa Negra (near Tamarindo) between Christmas and New Year's. In addition to surfing, snorkeling, etc. we would like to see a rainforest or wildlife reserve that CR is known for. Can anyone recommend places to visit that can be accomplished in 1 day?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best wildlife reserves near Playa Negra

You can take day trips to any of four National Parks: Rincon de la Vieja, Miravalles, Tenorio and Palo Verde. Palo Verde is the closest and you can take a boat through the park. For more information --

www.costarica-nationalparks.com

Any of these are two hours or less from Playa Negra.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best wildlife reserves near Playa Negra

Also you can include a nice ride to Santa Rosa National Park...great park to visit...and one of the best surfing locations...Playa Naranjo...world famous Witch Rocks is there...

roadadvisor

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best wildlife reserves near Playa Negra

Thanks for thoughts. From what I've read, I was under the impression that Rincon de la Vieja was more about hiking and seeing waterfalls. If I'm looking for an experience that includes seeing animals and birds, would you still recommend that or is there another top choice?

Have you been to Palo Verde. I've read mixed reviews which mostly focus on a boat ride that many folks have said is just OK. I know everything is subject to opinion but was curious about your thoughts if you've been to all the locations mentioned.

Thank you

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best wildlife reserves near Playa Negra

Hiking in Rincon is a great way to see both animals and birds. Coatis, howler monkeys and toucans are commonly seen. And the setting is spectacular-beautiful rainforest, waterfalls, mud pots and fumaroles or steam vents.

Palo Verde is also another wonderful opportunity to see monkeys (both white faced and howlers), coatis, herons, storks, egrets, iguanas and crocodiles. Last week scarlet macaws were also around. The boat tour is great-minimal exertion and you can get really close to the wildlife to take photos.

Heres a link to some recent photos from Palo Verde, hope they are of interest:

www.facebook.com/album.php…

5. Re: Best wildlife reserves near Playa Negra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2011, 13:28
Get answers to your questions about Province of Guanacaste