We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tambor to Samara -- best way to get there?

brooklyn
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Tambor to Samara -- best way to get there?

We are arriving in SJO at 11am and need to get to Samara but the only flight there leaves at 8am and we are trying not to spend the night and have to wait til the next day. The only other way seems to be to go to Tambor and get to Tambor in mid afternoon -- but then what? what's the best way to get to Samara from Tambor?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tambor to Samara -- best way to get there?

Nah, take a cab to Tobias Bolanos airport in Pavas (it's about 20 minutes from SJO). Fly NatureAir into Nosara (they have an afternoon flight). Rent a car through budget, they will pick you up for free in Nosara and drive you to Samara.

If you don't want to rent a car, simply take a cab from Nosara to Samara.

Mentioned in this post
Nosara
Nosara
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tambor to Samara -- best way to get there?

In case you are wondering why I suggest Nosara: It is MUCH closer than Tambor.

Mentioned in this post
Nosara
Nosara
brooklyn
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tambor to Samara -- best way to get there?

wow, thanks a lot for that info -- you have no idea how many contortions I had tried to get to samara some kind of way!

when you say "rent a car and they will pick you up for free in Nosara and drive you to Samara" do you mean they will pick us up and then we drive ourselves, right? and then drop the car off in Samora?

how much is a cab?

how long is the drive from Nosara to Samora?

thanks so much for responding so quickly

Mentioned in this post
Nosara
Nosara
brooklyn
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tambor to Samara -- best way to get there?

framptonian --I just looked at the map! thanks so much, it seemed so obvious but I didn't realize that Nosara had a airport. Now I'm thinking I may be missing something very obvious with the rest of my plans so would you mind telling me if you would agree with this plan:

after a week on the beach, planning to spend 4 days in arena/monteverde area and 4 days in osa. We thought we would fly from Samara to San Jose and rent a car and drive San Jose-Poas-Arenal-Monteverde and back to San Jose. then flight to Drake's bay.

OR: fly Samara-San Jose-Arenal and rent a car in Arenal area to do Arenal/Monteverde but then would have to return to Arenal to fly back to San-Jose.

OR: drive from Samara to Arenal/Monteverde. We were afraid the drive from Samara-Monteverde-Arenal would be very very long (even longer than 2 flights) but a lot of the websites have conflicting info as to distances/duration of drives.

any hints?

thanks a lot!

Mentioned in this post
Nosara
Nosara
brooklyn
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tambor to Samara -- best way to get there?

Ugh, just found out that I can't take the flight that arrives in SJO in early morning. Mine will arrive at 3pm which is too late for the 2pm Nosara flight. Back to square one, ugh!

Mentioned in this post
Nosara
Nosara
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tambor to Samara -- best way to get there?

Let's see:

Budget sends a shuttle and drives you to Samara. You get your rental car there - the office is in the center of town.

Taxis usually wait outside the airstrip in Nosara - it should be fairly easy to find somebody willing to drive you to Samara. Price depends on your negotiation skills but I would guess you'll be asked somewhere between US$20 and $30.

The drive takes roughly 30 minutes - a little less or more, depending on road condition, car, and driver. The road is fairly rough but not the worst I've seen it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother flying back and forth so much. Instead of seeing and experiencing the country, you'll be checking in and out of planes. Take your rental car up to Arenal and/or Monteverde.

You are right, though, the drive IS long. However, if you drive from Samara, you can drive around Lake Arenal - and that is quite scenic. It will probably take you roughly five hours but you'd be going to Arenal first.

At any rate, it will take you at least four hours to get to SJO from Samara. You'll have to wait for a plane, check-in, fly there, and pick up your rental car before you actually "arrive." In other words, you will have taken longer to get there and you will have spent your time commuting rather than seeing something, stopping along the way, taking pictures, and sampling some road-side restaurant.

If you want, take Desafio Adventures across Lake Arenal and have your rental car company deliver the vehicle to Monteverde - many companies are willing to do so for a fee. If you find this appealing, you can also ask Desafio for advice.

Drive from Monteverde to San Jose (via Poas - although Poas tends to be cloudy unless you are there early in the morning) and fly to Osa from there.

Mentioned in this post
Nosara
Nosara
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tambor to Samara -- best way to get there?

If you arrive after 3pm, your options are really limited. You could drive to Samara but you WILL be driving in the dark. I think the road is fairly easy - but I am very much used to driving here. However, it is paved all the way and the only treacherous part is between Nicoya and Samara - where I would advise you to go slow.

If you left around 4 pm, you'd be in Samara around 8 pm. Still time enough to go to your hotel, shower, and have dinner in town.

brooklyn
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tambor to Samara -- best way to get there?

thanks so much for your advice. I will definitely take it!

brooklyn
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tambor to Samara -- best way to get there?

Just one more question: when coming from the west (Samara), wouldn't Monteverde come before Arenal -- in your suggestion you refer to going to ARenal first -- what route are you thinking I should use?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tambor to Samara -- best way to get there?

Indeed - seems like my fingers typed something other than what my brain was thinking. However, you COULD go that way, too. Simply head up to Cañas first and then take the road around the lake. I have taken both (a rather long time ago, though) and both were equally painful. Going to Monteverde was painful because the road was really, really bad, going around the northern part of the lake was bad because it took forever.

Get answers to your questions about Nicoya