We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish School for Family - Samara vs Nosara vs Flamingo

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish School for Family - Samara vs Nosara vs Flamingo

We are loking for Spanish training for one week of our stay (next July) in Costa Rica (Guanacaste). I have investigated Academia de Espanol Nicoya which has classes in Samara, Samara Language School (Intercultura), Nosara Spanish Istitute, and the Flamingo Beach campus of CPI. All have their pros and cons; I am hoping for some guidance with my decision from those with experience in Costa Rica (we've never been there).

I received good correspondence from Academia (classes run out of the Hotel Belvedere in Samara). The drawback here is that the cost is a bit higher and there are no "fun" activities (like cooking or dancing) that my teens would enjoy. Intercultura looks inviting for its beach location but they offered no programs for those under age 18 and could not guarantee private lessons at the same time as their group lessons. Nosara offered the most flexible program and nice accommodations at a good price but the campus is a half hour walk to the beach, I'm also wondering about being "stuck" in Nosara in

July. CPI seems like a reputable school but I'm wondering how authentic of an experience we will get being in Playa Flamingo - it seems rather upscale.

Any comments about these schools or locations are most welcome. Thanks.

Edited: 23 September 2012, 12:32
Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,331 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Nosara
Nosara
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort...
2,299 Reviews
Playa Flamingo, Costa Rica
Playa Flamingo
Playa Flamingo
Ocean Seafari Tour in Samara
8 Reviews
from US$60.00*
Free Cancellation
Small-Group Ocean Kayak and...
from US$45.00*
Free Cancellation
Samara Beach Stand Up Paddle and...
1 Review
from US$60.00*
Free Cancellation
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,749 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish School for Family - Samara vs Nosara vs Flamingo

I will choose between Samara and Nosara...no many pleople will have the chance to walk by the beach to go to school...and then even a ncie visit to Ostional beach to see the turtle arrivals!

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,331 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Nosara
Nosara
Samara
Level Contributor
946 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish School for Family - Samara vs Nosara vs Flamingo

Hi Vegman99_New,

There is a new school opening up in Samara but I am not sure what grades will be available by the time you arrive to Samara. You may want to contact them: http://www.facebook.com/angelina.phillips.589 for more information.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,331 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish School for Family - Samara vs Nosara vs Flamingo

I have a friend that attended a Spanish language school in Samara, loved the city so much that she decided to buy a small hotel and settled in Samara. I love that little beach town too, everything you need.

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,331 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Nosara
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish School for Family - Samara vs Nosara vs Flamingo

Nosara is more family-oriented and I've taken classes at the Nosara Spanish Institute. The instruction is first-class.

Mentioned in this post
Nosara
Nosara
Nicoya, Costa Rica
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish School for Family - Samara vs Nosara vs Flamingo

You might really reconsider Nicoya. It's a family town, local culture, and there's a lot close to here such as Samara, but also some incredible nearby national parks. You'll learn Spanish and be able to get to know the Ticos (Costa Ricans). Every Sunday night the local band plays in the park after church services, and after a week everyone in town will probably know who you are. Quaint and friendly. Academia de Español Nicoya, the Spanish school in Nicoya has been around for more than 15 years.

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,331 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
6. Re: Spanish School for Family - Samara vs Nosara vs Flamingo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2013, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Nicoya