We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family beach on nicoya peninsula

Stratham, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Family beach on nicoya peninsula

We are looking for a family friendly area to stay on the nicoya peninsula. We are NOT interested in an all inclusive resort type of place. We will be coming from 6 days of travel from Tortugero and Arenal and want to be on a beautiful swimable sandy beach that the surf is not to rough for kids. We want to snorkel, relax and walk or short drive to a village or small town that has a bit of a nightlife. Doesn't have to be booming but restaurants and people walking around, some spanish music. Definitely not desolate. This is our relaxing part of the vacation but we would also love to have a day trip to a national park or refugee (1-2 hour max) to view the regions unique wildlife. We will be going last week of April. I know is is not the typical turtle season. Bummer. Hoping the other wildlife will make up for that. Saw many options...samara, Hermosa, playa coco...but just not sure they fit the bill as to our above "wish list" . Can anyone help or make recommendations. Once we find a beach to stay at we are looking for a nice hotel that is clean, pool, lounge chairs, bar and restaurant. We love the down to earth low key vibe of surfing villages.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
637 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family beach on nicoya peninsula

i see you at Samara...we stayed there with our teens over New Years and loved it!! Safe for them to walk around, great huge beach for swimming/walking, waves not massive, nice restaurants, locals mixed with tourists. Small enough to walk the entire town but big enough to feels the 'vibe'. We rented El Gauchito through Villas Kalimba - even Villas Kalimba might fit your needs - right across from beach - restaurant on site - self contained 2 bedroom units with nice pool.

We also stayed at Playa Hermosa - not sure what all the fuss is about but it was not where near as nice of a beach as Samara and there was nothing there. We didn't got to Playa Coco so can't comment on that. The other options for you might be Sta. Teresa or Montezuma (we were there too) but the surf at the beaches down there is much stronger.

i'm sure more comments will come from other posters.

have fun!

lwbc

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,348 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Villas Kalimba
Villas Kalimba
825 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Montezuma
Montezuma
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Stratham, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family beach on nicoya peninsula

So very helpful to lead us in the right direction! Thank you!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family beach on nicoya peninsula

You can check...Playa Coyote...nice beach...not many people around...I also beleive Samara could be a nice option...

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,348 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Stratham, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family beach on nicoya peninsula

Thank you! I looked into villa kalimba and have an email out to them. Is it a big deal that they are not on the beach. That kinda bums me out but it doesn't seem like there is much directly on the beach! Ad I agree samara seems like where we should be. Lmk what you thought of not being on the beach...

Thanks,

Stratham, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family beach on nicoya peninsula

Thanks! I see you have answered a lot of my many posts and I thank you so much! I looked into playa coyote and it seems most of the hotels are up high on a cliff? Ay town or small village?

6. Re: Family beach on nicoya peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2014, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Nicoya