We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicoya traveling

Rochester, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Nicoya traveling

We will be traveling to Santa Teresa in a couple of weeks. Very excited.

Was hoping for some intel on exchange rates, credit card use, what type of currency should we be armed with.

I have read about "Gringo rates". I myself can be rather savvy when it comes to bartering with locals.

We will be staying in a place on the beach near MalPais/Santa Teresa that has a kitchen for cooking.

Does anyone know of the best local markets for fresh seafood and fruits/veggies?

Im also a avid fisherman. Looking for info on boat rental, guide service and fishing from shore.

Any help on any of these would be greatly apprieciated!

Thanks much

Mentioned in this post
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicoya traveling

For questions about money, refer to the following two threads:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g309274-i2022-k3201…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k32672…

There really isn't any bartering to be done - with very few exceptions. In general, prices are what they are.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicoya traveling

I agree with Framptonian. How good would it make you feel to get some Costa Rican who makes $4 an hour to reduce his/her price on something? Just pay what is asked. If it seems too much to you, just don't buy it.

You will find that Costa Rica is not cheap. There are labor laws which include a wage scale and there is a thriving middle class. So don't expect everything to be dirt cheap - it's not.

As for where to buy things -- once you are there, just look around and ask around. There are quite a few choices and you will find one that suits you.

Once you are there, you can also ask around about a fishing trip. You can sometimes find a local fisherman who will take you out with him if you buy the gas and pay him something. This would be in a very small boat that probably has no safety equipment or radio and fishes inshore.

Wefish is a regular participant on this forum who lives in the Santa Teresa area and can give you more detailed information.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicoya traveling

On the way to the coast, as you come from the airport heading south, at the "Do It Center" there is a bank with the best excahnge rate desyfin.fi.cr/pages/…

4. Re: Nicoya traveling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Nicoya