We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maps

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Maps

It seems so hard to find maps and travel distances for Costa Rica. I found maps on this site http://costa-rica-guide.com/all/top-10/. Is this a good resource?

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
9 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maps

If you are looking for the Nicoya Peninsula area, this one: www.nicoyapeninsula.com

If you are looking for travel times and distances: www.yourtravelmap.com

Samara
Level Contributor
946 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maps

Are you looking for travel times between specific places?

Have Fun…Brenda Dragonne, Owner and Founder of the Info Center in Samara & Carrillo

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,350 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maps

Do not worry for…raos maps we are not the best…BUT for nice big maps…you can find all kinds ionce you are here at UNIVERSAL or LHEMAN book stores….

And if you are looking for travel distances or route ideas…post them here at TA>>>many nice people willing to help and is 100% FREE…we will not try to sell you anything!!

roadadvisor

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maps

If you are needing something during travel within CR, the Waze app seemed to be very popular and reliable in regard to reporting accidents and other slow-downs. You'll need to have international capabilities or a Costa Rican SIM card for your phone (check with your service provider and other TA posts on international plans and SIM card details).

For just gauging the time from one place to another, posts to TA are best...Road Advisor will often even post info on temporary road closures and construction. Whatever you do, don't go by distance on a map! The terrain of CR makes it impossible to judge based solely on the distance...you have mountainous areas, unpaved roads, mudslides, and other unexpected delays that cannot be detected on a map alone.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maps

Yourtravelmap.com is the best source of information for travel times. I've double-checked the times they quote when driving around and they are spot-on. Not as fast as an experienced Costa Rican driver, perhaps, but safe and sane.

For the status of roads -- you can check here: http://www.transito.go.cr/estadorutas/ This is the Transit Police website and is updated frequently.

Mainly -- you need to slow down and drive carefully. Just relax and enjoy the scenery.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maps

Of curse the best maps are here in some book stores…incredible details…and you can buy even by sections…by province…but IMHO to much…of course if you like maps that is the way to go…

El Transito…you can have some good info but most of the time they do not keep updatesd iso..hard to trust that info sometimes…

roadadisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maps

There's also the Waze app which works very well for Costa Rica. To me, its most valuable feature is that other users post current traffic information. I was expecting some guests and they were running late so I checked on Waze to look at their route to see if there were any problems or hold-ups. There were quite a few messages less than 10 minutes old.

So between the Transit Police website and Waze, you should have a pretty good picture of what's going on.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maps

Nics to know that you drive people around…nothing better to have a friend to drive you around…

WAZE works…I do have the application…only used when I have guest /passnegers when we are in a hurry to get mostly to airport…and I see some slow traffic…it is nice then to have WAZE

roadadisor

El Cerrito, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maps

There is this site where you can get a free waterproof map: costa-rica-guide.com/maps/… Has anyone tried it?

Also, Moon Travel Guides has lots of free downloadable maps: moon.com/maps/central-america/costa-rica/

Reply to: Maps
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nicoya