We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homeschoolers in Samara

Knowlton, Canada
Level Contributor
975 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Homeschoolers in Samara

Hola!

We're a family of four (including two girls, aged 7 and 9) from Canada coming to Samara from mid-Jan. to mid-March. We're looking for other homeschoolers to hook up with. You can reach us at aroslin1@yahoo.ca.

Pura vida!

Alex

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,350 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Homeschoolers in Samara

Alex: I would contact www.samarainfocenter.com They have been helpful to me several times and can probably give you some clues.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Homeschoolers in Samara

There are some homeschoolers around.

Your best starting point is probably Mareas: http://mareashomeschool.com

I know of one family in Carrillo that tried the homeschooling route. They even installed a huge satellite dish in order for their kids to be able to participate in an online classroom hosted in Canada. Their kids are older now and I don't know if they engage in homeschooling any longer.

Most others seem to send their kids to local private schools (depending on their age) while others have made arrangements with the local public schools to allow their kids to attend regular classes (no problem if you are legal residents/citizens but generally doable even if you are just perpetual tourists). Naturally, the two latter options generally require a working knowledge of Spanish or the ability to pick it up quickly.

Those of us who live here for years and years generally end up sending our kids to public schools eventually - in Samara/Carrillo and Nicoya. Some make the sacrifice of spending the week in San Jose so that their children can attend one of the excellent private schools there.

You could also contact CREAR to see if they have any pointers for you: asociacioncrear.org/content/program-overview

Edited: 21 November 2013, 01:10
Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,350 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Samara
Level Contributor
946 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Homeschoolers in Samara

Thanks Hattie :) Yes, Mareas Homeschool would be a great option. They are in downtown Samara. You can get more info on them here: https:/…angelina.phillips.589

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,350 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Homeschoolers in Samara

I am open to correction but officially the Ministry of Education in Costa Rica doesn't recognize homeschooling, so a homeschool programme must be recognized by another country (I know a Spanish family with children following a Spanish programme which includes exams as the embassy). Then if you do want to put children into the state system, the paperwork must be authenticated to show that they have completed and passed the previous grade for entry into the grade in which they should be in.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Homeschoolers in Samara

Sara - it sounds like they are just visiting for a few months, therefore Costa Rica doesn't need to recognize their homeschooling.

Mareas Homeschool is actually not a home school at all. It is a private school with normal hours of 8-3.

Most people here send their kids to private or public. There are only a couple homeschoolers in town that I know of and they are all older (preteen and teens).

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Knowlton, Quebec...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Homeschoolers in Samara

Hola all!

Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas! Thank you for all the replies, and best wishes for 2014. We hope to see you all in town when we arrive in a couple of weeks.

Pura vida,

Alex and Rhonda & kids

7. Re: Homeschoolers in Samara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 13:16