We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I make the bus?

Jacksonville Beach...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Will I make the bus?

My flight lands at SJO at 10:30am on a Sunday. Any chance I'll make the noon bus to Samara? I have never taken the bus before, but understand that I'll need to take a taxi to the Empresa Alfaro station (near Coca Cola).

If not the bus, what are my other options for getting to Samara on the same day that I fly in (besides a $200+ taxi.)

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I make the bus?

You can probably make the bus - but not by going into San Jose.

There is a bus station known as "La Radial" which is about 5 minutes from the airport. Buses going north from San Jose stop here to pick up more passengers. You will pay the driver in colones - you can get colones from an ATM before you exit the airport terminal. At La Radial, just get any bus going to Nicoya. You will have to change buses in Nicoya to get to Samara. The destination will be prominently displayed on the front of the bus. (It might say: "Nicoya ..... por puente") The bus from San Jose will arrive at La Radial about 30-45 minutes after leaving San Jose. Usually there is someone out in front of the bus station shouting the name of the bus at it arrives.

La Radial is a newish station with clean restroom and a small convenience store. Keep your stuff with you all the time. It's safe - but like any bus station, you need to watch for thieves or pickpockets. There is also a security guard.

It will take 45 minutes to an hour to get out of the airport and into a taxi so if there are no major delays, you should be fine.

Jacksonville Beach...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I make the bus?

Thank you for the quick reply, Hattie. According to thebusschedule, it looks like there is a noon bus that goes directly to Samara without having to go to Nicoya first - is that accurate? Do you think that bus will also stop at La Radial?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I make the bus?

I think that the direct bus for Samara will stop at La Radial - but there's no way to be sure. I've been on the bus from San Jose to Upala, for instance, and most times it stopped at La Radial -- but not every time.

You then have two choices: Go to La Radial and get on the bus for Samara or on the bus for Nicoya and transfer to the bus for Samara.

Get a taxi and go to the bus station in San Jose to make sure you will get the direct bus for Samara. It's about $25-$30 for a taxi.

If everything goes well, you can taxi into San Jose with plenty of time. But if your flight is delayed or if there is a traffic problem between the airport and San Jose, that can be an issue. There have been problems with bridges, etc recently but it's hard to know if it will impact your trip. Still...... if you miss the noon bus to Samara, there is another bus at the Empresa Alfaro station that you can get to Nicoya.

Unfortunately, it looks like the shared van shuttles all leave in the morning.

Samara
Level Contributor
946 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I make the bus?

Hattie, that is awesome information. I had not heard of La Radial which seems like a great option for people that cannot make the noon bus to Samara.

Porchacha, there are buses from Nicoya to Samara about every hour.

Have fun!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I make the bus?

Brendad288: La Radial has been around for several years and it's common for buses going north to stop there to pick up more passengers. It's a municipal station so no ticket office and buses from all companies stop there. Very convenient for anyone flying into SJO and wanting to use the bus. So much easier than going into San Jose!

6. Re: Will I make the bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2014, 14:19