We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap, safe accommodation for solo female

Smiths Gully...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap, safe accommodation for solo female

Hi al,

Typical of my travel style move left planning the details of my trip to the last minute. I fly into SJO tomorrow and not yet decided where to go but know I will head to Playa Samara.

The shock is that accommodation seems to be much more expensive there than I'd imagined?!

I want somewhere uncommercial, away from busy areas, quiet but secure. I'm just there to run on the beach and hopefully hills/mountain trails and then relax in the sun

I am training for an ultra marathon in this country in a few weeks time so I definitely don't want to run in busy roads or have a nightlife.

I just need access to fruits and vegetables, maybe something to cook grains on...or order same as I'm vegan.

I'm keen to have advice on this area but also any other area that locals or experienced CR travellers think would suit my requirements.

Thanks heaps!!

Mentioned in this post
Playa Samara
Playa Samara
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
The Hideaway Hotel Playa Samara
The Hideaway Hotel Playa Samara
#1 of 17 hotels in Playa Samara
Fenix Hotel - On The Beach
Fenix Hotel - On The Beach
#2 of 17 hotels in Playa Samara
Lodge Las Ranas
Lodge Las Ranas
#3 of 17 hotels in Playa Samara
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap, safe accommodation for solo female

Check this website: www.samarabeach.com There is inexpensive lodging in both Samara and Playa Carrillo. But good luck finding something decent without a reservation this time of year. It's one of the busiest weeks in the country.

As for "running the beach" -- both of these beaches are very nice, but are in separate bays so it's not really possible to run more than a couple of miles. However, you can easily run from Samara to Playa Carrillo which is about 5 km. You can check at your lodging for other recommendations for running - or - just run around town and up into the hills outside of town.

Every restaurant in the area will provide you with some vegan options - depending on how strict you are. For instance, rice and beans and a salad is readily available with a nice, homemade corn tortilla, but they might shake a little consomme powder in the black beans for flavoring.

You can also shop for your own fruits and vegetables and grains.

Also check www.nicoyapeninsula.com for more information about the area.

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,331 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Playa Carrillo
Playa Carrillo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap, safe accommodation for solo female

When I was doing my research for Samara Entre Dos Aguas & Tico Adventure Lodge were reasonable for me with good reviews.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 04:24
Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,331 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Hotel Entre Dos Aguas
Hotel Entre Dos Aguas
221 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Tico Adventure Lodge
Tico Adventure Lodge
178 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap, safe accommodation for solo female

Another great resource, if you're still in need is Samara InfoCenter, look them up on Facebook or their website.

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,331 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Smiths Gully...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap, safe accommodation for solo female

Thank you so much everyone. Sorry for delayed response. Internet strength been poor to non existent!

Will def head to Carrillo etc toward end month. Near Dominical at mo.

Thanknu!

Mentioned in this post
Dominical
Dominical
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
5. Re: Cheap, safe accommodation for solo female

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 15:21