We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locanda Samara?

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Locanda Samara?

We are traveling to Samara next month with our three kids- 10, 7 and 2. We want something completely beachfront. The Treehouse is booked. Locanda Samara's location looks nice. Do the apartments open to the beach? Our other option if Hotel Fenix which seems great, but a little father out of town. We also thought about Las Brisas del Pacifico and Case Del Mar, but these rooms don't truly seem beachfront and do not have kitchens. We would love the option to cook on occasion.

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,350 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,594 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locanda Samara?

True beachfront is tough to find. As you know, the Treehouse is one of the few options. Locanda is probably the next best thing if beach front is a must. I am not intimately familiar with the hotel at this point and thus, will abstain from more detail. I am sure somebody else knows it better than I do.

I would not stay at Las Brisas - I've always thought the work climate around there didn't do anything positive for those who stay at the hotel. Casa del Mar is alright but is not right on the beach. That said, the beach is really just across the street - and we are not talking a major highway here.

Along the same line, you might actually find Kalimba to be a better fit - they rent out small, individual cabinas that come with separate bedrooms, a kitchen, etc. There's also a central pool AND the beach is just across the same tiny street as Casa del Mar. I actually think that for kids in your age range, there's hardly a better place around - mainly for the conveniences they offer combined with the great location (super close to the beach, next to a good grocery store, in very easy walking distance to just about all of the restaurants).

Finally, the Fenix is a great place to stay with kids but it is a bit outside of town. Nothing far, mind you, just not in the thick of things as far as tourism is concerned. For some, this is a plus, for others not. Still, I have no doubt that your kids would like it. You should be aware that the Fenix is located in a truly residential neighborhood that used to be simply occupied by squatters. Obviously, it's gotten a whole lot better over the years, but don't expect well-maintained roads or manicured yards. Don't picture anything like Camden, NJ or Detroit, either - but it's all just a bit rough around the edges. I don't mind it at all and some outfight prefer it because it can bestow the sense of being somewhat immersed in local life. Small grocery stores are close-by, too.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Locanda Samara?

Thanks so much for your response- I appreciate your input! I think Kalimba is nice, but a lot more expensive and still not beach front. I hope to get feedback on Locanda. Otherwise, I think it will be Fenix.

Level Contributor
33 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locanda Samara?

We stayed in Samara (kids 6,3)for 3 months and I think beachfront is not the way to go if treehouse is booked. Casa jr is a 3 bedroom place (samarabeach.com) that I would highly recommend. Better to have good place to stay vs beachfront. The walk to the beach is 2 minutes....we did it everyday for 90 days

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,350 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Samara
Level Contributor
946 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Locanda Samara?

Hi. Locanda has a restaurant (great!) that is beach front but the rooms open to the parking lot for the hotel and the bar they share a parking lot with.

Casa del Mar is just across the street (very small street) and they have their own wooden lounge chairs on the beach for their clients to use. They do not offer shared kitchen.

Fenix is right on the beach but the neighborhood is not the prettiest. If you have a car, this is not a problem. If you do not, you have to consider getting a taxi back and forth with grocery bags or walking the beach.

Have fun!

5. Re: Locanda Samara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 13:20