We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Cruz grocery

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Santa Cruz grocery

Can anyone give me directions to the AUTO MERCADO grocery and/or the Mas pe Menos grocery in Santa Cruz, CR. We will driving in from Liberia, headed to Playa Azul. We would like to stop on the way to pick up staples for the week. Any other suggested grocery store would be helpful.

Thank you

5 replies to this topic
La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Cruz grocery

I've been through Santa Cruz many times, but cannot recall the location of the Auto Mercado (or even seeing one there for that matter). One word of advice is to make sure someone stays with your car while in the store as it sounds like you are stopping along the way and if so will have luggage.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Cruz grocery

Good advice by EXPLORIN...and as far as I know is not a Auto Mercado in Santa Cruz..

roadadvisor

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Cruz grocery

Thanks for the advise. There will be four of us and we're all adults, so one or two of us should definitely be able to stay in the car. Since you said you have been through Santa Cruz many times, can you please suggest a good place for us to buy groceries in Santa Cruz or closer to Playa Azul. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are from the U.S., so there are certain "gringo" items we will want for our week at the condo.

Thank you.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 13:36
Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
789 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Cruz grocery

The only Auto Mercados in Guanacaste are in Tamarindo and Playa del Coco. There is a grocery store an your right as you come up to the traffic light at the northern edge of Santa Cruz, ( I can't remember the name) but it is more of a warehouse-style store and they don't have any "Gringo" items. I'm not sure where the other grocery stores in Santa Cruz are but it is not a large place and you could easily drive around until you find one (or try out your Spanish and ask directions). Another option would be Belen, the town you will be passing through on the highway north of Santa Cruz. There is a large Super Compro on your right as you pass through. There is also an excellent supermarket in Liberia, in the shopping complex just at the lights on the Inter American highway, but that would have you backtracking into Liberia from the airport (about 10 km).

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Cruz grocery

Thanks you so much. I was able to locate the Super Compro on Wikimapia.

Edited: 01 September 2013, 02:04
Reply to: Santa Cruz grocery
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Cruz
Recent Conversations
More Santa Cruz Topics