We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a driver for a day trip to Santa Cruz

Bridgeport, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a driver for a day trip to Santa Cruz

My husband and I are staying at the Hilton Papagayo and want to do a day trip to Santa Cruz. Should we hire a driver? Is there much to do there for a daytrip? Can anyone recommend a driver? If not Santa Cruz can someone recommend a day trip to another location for shopping , authentic food, and sites?

14 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a driver for a day trip to Santa Cruz

You can also rent a car…is a simple drive and you can stop any place any time…maybe a visit to Guaitil…

Chcek PACIFIC TOURS…great cars great drivers….

roadadvisor

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
206 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a driver for a day trip to Santa Cruz

Easy enough to drive it, if you have a rental car and have an idea of what you want to see.

Not sure what the rest of your time in Costa Rica will include, but we have found that adding local guides into our trips is invaluable to really seeing the authentic Costa Rican way of life...

I am a do it yourself person...but no amount of research, guide books and planning can compare to the locals who know the best local places to go.

Plenty of things to see around Santa Cruz -- Guaitil and Palo Verde come to mind, in addition to the town of Santa Cruz itself.

Would recommend Mainor at Tours Your Way ( http://www.tours-your-way.com )

It truly is a tour your way--they will plan a trip around what you wish to see/do.

We visited during the Santa Cruz rodeo in January and were simply amazed.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a driver for a day trip to Santa Cruz

You can also c heck…info @paloverdeboattours.com….you can drive to Santa Cruz and they will meet you there and follow them with your car….company fully certified and insure…good boats…good food…great tour…

roadadvisor

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a driver for a day trip to Santa Cruz

Just to be clear. I think you mean visit the "beaches of Santa Cruz." The town of Santa Cruz is not a tourism location. Some of the beach towns are Flamingo Beach, Playa Grande, Tamarindo, Playa Avellanas, etc.

Bridgeport, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a driver for a day trip to Santa Cruz

Not exactly......we would most like to do what locals do.......festivals, open markets......a market area perhaps? Where is a good place to find things like that? We have all the beach information. Is Liberia the place to find a bustling town?

Bridgeport, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a driver for a day trip to Santa Cruz

Thank you!!

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a driver for a day trip to Santa Cruz

Renting a car is a good option . With a high clearance vehicle take the monkey trail and check potrero , flamingo, to villa real to Santa Cruz

Bridgeport, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring a driver for a day trip to Santa Cruz

Thank you!!

Bridgeport, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring a driver for a day trip to Santa Cruz

We are also "do it yourself" travelers. Santa Cruz doesn't have to be the destination. We are looking for local street markets, festivals and authentic food. Any suggestions? Maybe Liberia? We will be staying at a hotel on the gulf of Papagayo. We are not young kids so we don't need a surf beach etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,415 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiring a driver for a day trip to Santa Cruz

That area of Costa Rica is not one I know that much about, but I've been to Santa Cruz a couple of times - albeit for fairly short visits. I really liked the "vibe" probably precisely for the reasons you are looking for. I liked that it felt like a typical "sabaneo" town without a lot of tourist influence. The main square and church area seemed pretty bustling. it seemed small enough to get around easily.

I can't speak to the dining or shopping.

I have read about a place called Coope-Tortillas - a restaurant run by local women that sounds interesting. (Don't know if it still exists.)

You would have to ask around to see what are the best days for markets etc. and if there is anything

Liberia would be alot bigger - though I am not sure if it would be more interesting. My experiences for there are even less - limited to changing bus stations once and driving through another time.

I think brown11's idea is good - combine it with Guatil and a few other places around.

raquel

Reply to: Hiring a driver for a day trip to Santa Cruz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Cruz
Recent Conversations
More Santa Cruz Topics