We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Impact from strikes in Talamanca area?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
29 reviews
Impact from strikes in Talamanca area?

We are planning to fly into Limon Thursday and take Caribe Shuttle to Punta Uva.

We know not to carry valuables, etc. and have no intention going north of Cahuita while there..

I just don't want to take uninformed risks with the strike situation.

Thank you in advance!

10 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,184 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Impact from strikes in Talamanca area?

We are going to this area in about a week, so I emailed the place where we are staying - Banana Azul in Puerto Viejo - to see what the local situation is like. They said that they've been receiving visitors this week, no problem, and that the strikes don't have much impact where they are. People have reported that drive times sometimes are longer than usual due to road blocks, but that's about it.

I have read about issues in Limon itself - more civil unrest - but my sense is that flying in and then taking a shuttle, there shouldn't be any problems, other than possible traffic delays.

Martinsburg...
Level Contributor
352 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Impact from strikes in Talamanca area?

I've been reading and keeping on top of this as well, though our trip is not for eight weeks still.

One thing I must say, I hope the people doing this crap realize what they are risking. If the road blockages and difficulties being able to buy fuel persist, even just in scattered locations, there is risk of it to start eroding Costa Rica's reputation of being the one safe, easily-traveled island of calm amidst an otherwise ever-shifting political landscape of Central America. And once you 'break' something like that, it takes a long time to fix it back to how it was, if ever.

Even a small shift in people's perception (real or perceived, doesn't matter) of the safety and travel-friendly nature of Costa Rica could cost their economy greatly. If travel is impacted, even marginally, the cost to the economy could very well necessitate further tax increases and/or service cuts that would make these folks *beg* for the tax/wage/benefit proposals they are currently protesting.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,730 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: Impact from strikes in Talamanca area?

If I understand this post correctly, it appears that the transfer delay was of 3 hrs: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g291982… .

New York City
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
4. Re: Impact from strikes in Talamanca area?

We are going to be arriving San Jose on Saturday Sept 29th, at 11:30 in the morning and renting a car and driving down to the Cameleon hotel in Cocles beach that day, is there any advice for driving down or generally while we are there during this strike?

Any comments would be appreciated.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51,553 posts
102 reviews
5. Re: Impact from strikes in Talamanca area?

I just spend two days in Cocles...and there was not a single problem.

Driving from San Jose can take some extra hours...get some water and snacks...

roadadvisor

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,730 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: Impact from strikes in Talamanca area?

@4, see Safety and Security tab here, it has a new section, highlighted in yellow, re the Demonstrations, added at the bottom: https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/costa-rica .

Also https:/…mass-gatherings .

We enjoyed our trips to that coast. Hopefully, you will, too, once you get there.

Good luck!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51,553 posts
102 reviews
7. Re: Impact from strikes in Talamanca area?

The great thing is that Im here...and driving to Limon almost evedry day...no links...just first hand advice...is my passengers safety and mine...so far so good.

roadadvisor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Impact from strikes in Talamanca area?

There were issues with gas stations and road access but these appear to be easing. It's a good idea to fill up on gas before leaving San Jose and don't wait until the tank is near empty before refilling. Ruta 32 on Facebook is a good group to see closures or road issues as is the Waze app as it is in real time.

Taking sides on a political debate is not appropriate on this forum but needless to say, we all hope it will be resolved amicably and soon.

Level Contributor
47 posts
9. Re: Impact from strikes in Talamanca area?

It has nothing to do with the political debate, Sara. It has to do with blocking roads, ports, etc. Couldn't care less your politics or 'side', that is wrong, illegal, and hurtful to your countrymen. Again, whatever the 'side'. We are talking real travel issues, not politics.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51,553 posts
102 reviews
10. Re: Impact from strikes in Talamanca area?

Yes Grant we understand your point and make sense...but we are in love with peace and do not like to hurt people...of course in a way we all are gteeing hurt...but thanks God...we are getting hurt mostly in our times...nothing else...of course if we dig...we can find a lot of other important issues...but we are giving time...and hopefully every thing is going to be OK soon.

Thank you Grant

roadadvisor

Reply to: Impact from strikes in Talamanca area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...