We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Twinrix Vaccines!

Ottawa, ON Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Twinrix Vaccines!

I have my trip all planned and I am so excited, but I am so confused about Twinrix. We are staying the first and last night at Adventure Inn and the rest of the nights at Korrigan Lodge in Puerto Viejo. My boyfriend and I had decided to get the Twinrix as a safety percaution, until he found out that it isn't covered in any way under his health plan. The total cost is in the $350 range and I just don't know if it is necessary. I have been doing my research about it, but I am still confused. Do the locals get these vaccines? Travelers? Is it really a big issue? I heard the water is very clean, but I would love some feedback!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Twinrix Vaccines!

As a pharmacist my opinion is this, yes there may be side effects and you can read them your self with a basic internet search. The fact is, the chances of you having side effects are likely less than the chances of you getting Hep A or B whether on vacation or at home.

However, haveing seen the effects of both Hep A and B, all you should really ask yourself is this, once you get Hep B would the $350 still seem expensive? It only takes one incident of some one accidently cutting there hand and not knowing it, then touching your food which is prepared for you. One ice cube that may be contaminated.

Sure, it seems almost conspiracy like, but the fact is, some one will get hep A or B, by accident, taking all the precautions advised.

$350 doesn't sound like to much for peace of mind. And if you are asking us on this advisor site, then clearly, you have your own concerns. Don't let us determine your health.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
568 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Twinrix Vaccines!

As a microbiologist I have to side with gwovadis and bigD40 on this; the risks of hep A or B infection greatly outweigh any side effect of either the individual and/or combined (Twinrix) vaccines. While it is a great idea to wash fruits and vegetables, and to use sanitary practices when preparing food, it is not sufficient to prevent infectious disease. In fact most people pick up hep A infections when eating at restaurants, which is not something easily avoided when on vacation. Swimming, including in ocean water, is another way to be exposed to hep A, as is eating raw shellfish.

It is true, the locals do not worry about hep A infections. That is because in developing countries most people are exposed to hep A at a very young age, they develop an asymptomatic infection, and gain lifelong immunity. Most adults from North America and Europe do not have this childhood exposure and thus are susceptible. While the risk of catching hep A may be low, if you do catch it it will result in a severe illness that lasts from 2 to 6 weeks. Personally, I would rather spend a couple of hundred dollars and deal with a mildly sore arm for a couple of days than risk being bed-ridden for 2 to 6 weeks.

Columbia Falls...
Level Contributor
82 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Twinrix Vaccines!

Along with the information requested/given about the vaccines, I read with interest the food prep suggestions. I am just ending a whole day in bed with Montezuma's revenge, and not getting much better. We have eaten out twice daily since here, and have been cautious about not eating the salads, or drinking ice drinks. A couple of places assured me that their ice came from packing plants that are purified. So... where did I contract this? Ceviche? The sliced watermelon and pineapple on our snorkeling tour? I have tried so hard and now just lost a day in my vacation... By the way, I am a nurse, and am up on all my immunizations.

Thanks for your help, and I think it may help others too.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Twinrix Vaccines!

Very good chances that some good bacteria in the ceviche is casusing the Montezuma revenge...I have had seen many people getting sick with ceviche...just regular ceviche...some people will get sick...mostly in the first 48 hours in our country if the ate ceviche or some other kind of fish recipes!

roadavisor

Columbia Falls...
Level Contributor
82 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Twinrix Vaccines!

Bummer! I was afraid of that! Well things are not improving, and my boyfriend just had ceviche at Maxi's this afternoon while entertaining himself. He is getting rumbles now. Guess the cevice here is not made like ours back in MT with canned shrimp and clams.....

My situation I think will warrent an antibiotic in the morning if not better.... Will I need a prescription or can I just tell the druggist?

Thank you for your assistance.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Twinrix Vaccines!

You should be able to just tell the pharmacy what antibiotic you want but use the generic name and write it down and hand it over. The names are slightly different but the "English" generic version is recognizable. For instance, "azthromycin" becomes" azithromycina" and is pronounced differently.

Sorry to hear about your troubles - I would also suspect ceviche. The ceviche here is made from fresh, raw seafood. The water supply in Costa Rica is really, really clean so I would not hesitate to use the ice or drink the water.

Many people have slight digestive problems because the "bugs" are different but it sounds like yours is more than that. If you eat fruit, just buy it yourself and peel it.

I have never ever gotten any intestinal problem in Costa Rica after 8 years here. I have acquired giardia while in Kentucky, norovirus on a fancy cruise ship and another upset in Greece. (No, I don't drink alcohol and am careful about what I eat.) The food here is well prepared in general, and, as I said - the water supply is excellent.

Before I retired, I was in the seafood business and I would never eat ceviche no matter where or how it is prepared.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Twinrix Vaccines!

I've had the ceviche at Maxis many times, always fresh, never had issues. There is a pharmacy downtown to get medicine. Hope you get better soon!

18. Re: Twinrix Vaccines!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2010, 13:32
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...
Recent Conversations