We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Totem or Pachamama?

Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
961 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Totem or Pachamama?

I'm debating between these two places to stay in PV.

Pachamama is intriguing because of the wildlife, location near Punta Uva, and kayaking up the river.

Totem is on Cocles and appears to be closer to the water.

Which location would you pick? We really want a nice beach and I've heard that Uva is the prettiest but does that include the location of Pachamama. It seems to me that a lot of times beaches aren't that pretty at the mouth of a river.

Also, is getting around on bicycles (not at night) reasonable in this area or would you recommend getting a car?

Thanks!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Totem or Pachamama?

Both great location, Totem is right across beach, just a few steps, and is closer to town too, the beach is known to have rip tides and excellent for surfing some months of the year, be careful. Pachamama is a five minute walk to one of the most beautiful beaches in Costa Rica and safe for swimming, is a 30 plus minute bike ride to town. more quiet at Pachamama and more wildlife too.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,974 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Totem or Pachamama?

I stayed next to Totem. They have a good restaurant and very nice staff. The pool area is nice, but not the nicest in the area.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
521 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Totem or Pachamama?

We stayed at Pachamama. I agree with #1.

If you want to be on the beach Pachamama is not the place but the rooms are great and the birds and monkeys are all around.

Walk to the beach is along the "main road" for about 100m and then down a dirt road to the beach but Pachamama provides free bikes and locks so it is easy.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Totem or Pachamama?

www.pachamamacaribe.com

better beach vibe...

Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
961 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Totem or Pachamama?

Thank you all very much....this is very helpful.

cocles
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Totem or Pachamama?

If you want to have the best vacation I highly recommand Hotel Cariblue

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,494 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Totem or Pachamama?

Agree with CUBANON...if somebody knows and love that area is him and his wife Carmen...if they said PACHAMAMA...PACHAMAMA is the place ...that simple ...at least is my personal opinion!

roadadvisor

cocles
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Totem or Pachamama?

Pachamama is a very quiet but simple place, it has no pool, no restaurant and missing all the services that a hotel can offer to you, , it all depends on what you looking for or what you really need for your vacation. Cocles is not so isolated as Pachamama, close to everything, 10 minutes to Punta Uva, 5 min.(by car) to Puerto Viejo village . On the beautiful Cocles beach I highly recommend the hotel Cariblue for its fabulous tropical gardens, its great swimming pool, restaurant and location: a km from Puerto Viejo.

Anyway enjoy our caribbean coast!!

www.cariblue.com

Edited: 28 April 2010, 01:43
YYJ
Perry, Georgia
Level Contributor
80 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Totem or Pachamama?

Neither -- the hotel next to Totem is La Isla Inn - nicer rooms and actual view of the beach from the restaurant where you have breakfast. Super, super clean - cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in (and I've been all over). The owners, Petra and Jose, are wonderful as is the entire staff. Only lifeguard stand in the area is right there. We have stayed there many, many times and won't stay anywhere else!

YYJ
Perry, Georgia
Level Contributor
80 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Totem or Pachamama?

Neither -- the hotel next to Totem is La Isla Inn - nicer rooms and actual view of the beach from the restaurant where you have breakfast. Super, super clean - cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in (and I've been all over). The owners, Petra and Jose, are wonderful as is the entire staff. Only lifeguard stand in the area is right there. We have stayed there many, many times and won't stay anywhere else!

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...