We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving very early in the morning to San Jose

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
driving very early in the morning to San Jose

Our flight from San Jose back to the States leaves at 12:50 pm on 19 May. We are considering renting a car, but don't want to leave PV the day prior to departure.

Which means we will have to leave PV on the morning of 19 May at 04:00-05:00 am, I would guess?

Is this a bad idea for somebody who has never been to Costa Rica before?

Thank you for everybody's advice.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving very early in the morning to San Jose

It's a really good idea to stay near the airport the night before departure. You never know how road conditions are going to be, and you'll find the journey much less stressful.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving very early in the morning to San Jose

Departure time too early, spend the night near airport!

USA
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving very early in the morning to San Jose

Have you considered hiring a driver to bring you to the airport? We had a driver pick us up at 5:00 am and made it to San Jose in plenty of time for a 11:45am flight back to the US. Even had time to stop and get a quick breakfast on the way.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,936 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving very early in the morning to San Jose

You must leave Puerto Viejo no later than 6am...it is a nice drive...well Braulio Carrillo is a nice road but sometimes with rain or fog...can be hard to drive...that early in the morning traffic is OK most of the time!

roadadvisor

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving very early in the morning to San Jose

You need to be AT the airport 2-3 hours before your international flight

so like 9:30-10 AM

Your plan fraught with peril I fear...

Always come in the night before have a nice time usually in Escazu

www.mybeaconescazu.com www.casabellarita.com

2 nice places with free SJO xport

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving very early in the morning to San Jose

Since you have to be at the airport at around 10:30 am, you can leave at 6 am and have plenty of time to make it.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

NJ
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: driving very early in the morning to San Jose

So, you have a couple of differing opinions. I My biggest concern , and probably yours too, is rush hour traffic around San Jose....Does it exist? I will be coming down through San Ramon and picking up Route 1. As long as I can contiue on at 30mph I will be fine. But if traffic is a nightmare between 8:00 and 10:00, could be an issue.

I will also be dropping off a rental at Hertz in the airport. Any tips on this?

Thanks

Kelly

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving very early in the morning to San Jose

Thank you for your replies, everybody.

We decided to just hire a driver and have him pick us up around 05:00 in PV, seems to be the easiest way to do it.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving very early in the morning to San Jose

The advice given here about staying near the airport the night before is very sound. You can hire a driver, take the bus or drive yourself but you are still subject to road conditions, accidents,, etc. Hoping you have a good trip and keep your fingers crossed that there are no landslides blocking the road in the Braulio Carrillo area which has happened recently.

Ljungby
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: driving very early in the morning to San Jose

Hi!

We have just been in Manzanillo and left the 30th of april. We went to San Jose the day before. Took the bus at 7 a.m. Since the road through Braulio Carillo were closed we knew that it would take a few hours more "the Turrialba way". When we stopped in Limon we found out that there was a strike going on and the road were closed. Couldn´t get to San Jose by bus or car.

It all ended up with that we were taking a small airplane from Limons airport to San Jose.

Just an example of what could happen - so I highly recommend to leave the day before you will go home. Everything could happen!

Hope you have a safe trip!

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...