We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly-which area, lodging?

Palm Springs, CA
Level Contributor
562 posts
40 reviews
Family friendly-which area, lodging?

Hello!

We are a family of 5 comimg to Costa Rica this summer. July or August. We have already decided to spend some time in Arenal and Samara but lately I've been thinking...while we're there, we might as well check out the Carribean side too!

We are early 30s and kids are 11,8,&7 and possibly my mom 50s. I've been trying to determine which area on the Carribean side is most family friendly. There's not a ton of info regarding this (should I take that as a clue?) But, what I did find was that maybe Cahuita or Punta Uva would suit us best. Which would you visit with children? In Cahuita I really like the look of Playa Negra Guesthouse but maybe Punta Uva is better for families. If that's the case where do you recommend staying with kids.

Also, is it an easy car/taxi ride into puerto viejo for dinner?

Thanks!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Family friendly-which area, lodging?

Both places would be good for your family, but Puerto Viejo area is more popular with visitors to the Caribbean side The Punta Uva area has probably the most calm water for swimming and sometimes good snorkeling without a guide. I do want to mention that Playa Negra Guesthouse is a great place to stay, maybe if possible you can split your time between PN and PU. Taxis are plentiful in Puerto Viejo area

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Family friendly-which area, lodging?

I think kukula lodge could be nice in punta uva. Great reviews and unique jungle setting your kids will never forget. Playa Negra guesthouse is beautiful, but Cahuita would not be ideal for kids. Way more to do in Puerto Viejo.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
91 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Family friendly-which area, lodging?

Kukula Lodge great suggestion. Jungle setting, small pool, beaches nearby, frogs in the garden, monkeys and sloths in the trees, nice hosts. We liked it lots. My eleven year old daughter did not like Cahuita (street life was fairly bizarre the week we were in town, and there is far less to do there other than the national park), but she loves Puerto Viejo for beaching, biking and exploring. Kukula is located near several groceries and restaurants, so never too far away from food--critical for a kid on vacation. There are not huge number of kid tourists in PV because this is not a prepackaged or Disney kind of place. The thrills are in the tide pools, the night noises, the fresh food, the howl of monkeys, etc.

Palm Springs, CA
Level Contributor
562 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Family friendly-which area, lodging?

Thank you! So punta uva it is! Kukula looks really cool. Thanks for that suggestion! There seem to be several places in the area that look great. I especially like the look of korrigan lodge (although this will only work if my mom does come along so we can split the kids between 2 rooms.) also like the look of pachamama and casa viva. But out of all these, if you suggest Kukula then I'll go with that. I trust my fellow TAers!

Also, another question. My hubby would like to keep our trip to a maximum of 2 places (he doesn't like to move around on vacation) so I'm thinking of dropping arenal for punta uva and splitting our time between there and samara. Would this be a mistake? I know Manuel Antonio and arenal are usually suggested for first time visitors. But we are beach lovers and can't do anything too adventurous In arenal anyway(rafting, canyoneering, etc) since we'll have a 7 yr old with us. So what do you all think? Should we do like most and check out arenal or go against the grain and replace it with punta uva? Thanks!

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: Family friendly-which area, lodging?

Samara was always my second choice in Costa Rica when I was looking at moving there. You can't go wrong. It might be Todd for young child as well given the last time I eas there, I remover the waves as very calm. But best you post in samara forums for a more local take on there. Cheers,Colin.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52,970 posts
119 reviews
6. Re: Family friendly-which area, lodging?

You can also check...Casas Caracola in Playa Chiquita...the houses are Caribbean coast kind of houses not fancy but nice...

roadadvisor

7. Re: Family friendly-which area, lodging?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2013, 17:23
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...