We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo traveller to Bocas del Toro

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
47 reviews
Solo traveller to Bocas del Toro

I am hoping to go to Bocas del Toro from PV on Feb 18-20. I asked the tour companies but they won't take a solo traveller. Can anyone here recommend the best way to get there and back on my own? Places to stay there? Companies to go out snorkelling with? Thanks for any advice

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Solo traveller to Bocas del Toro

They won't take a solo traveller??

Try the Bocas Shuttle, here is the link: http://caribeshuttle.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Solo traveller to Bocas del Toro

Funny, I just met the guy who runs that company today and he told me the same thing. Any tips on Boca?

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Solo traveller to Bocas del Toro

Do you mean to say that he confirmed that they do not take solo travellers? I have only been to Bocas once so i can't say much about it, I hope some who have been more often will give some tips.

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Solo traveller to Bocas del Toro

I would suggest staying on Isla Bastimentos for a true Caribbean experience, and most of the good snorkeling places are on that island, Coral Key, Hospital Pt, Isla Zapatillas being just some of them. There of lots of low cost hotels and hostals in Old Bank, the village on the Island as well as Red Frog beach resort area, the nicest beach in all the archipeligo.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Solo traveller to Bocas del Toro

If a company has people already booked for the time that you want to go, why wouldn't they take you along? I can understand why companies want a 2-person minimum to run the trip--- this is standard -- but if they already have the minimum, you should be able to join them. Could you change your plans to be able to go at a time when others have booked?

Puerto Viejo
Level Contributor
92 posts
6. Re: Solo traveller to Bocas del Toro

Hi Girllrig, I own the Bocas shuttle by Caribe Shuttle. I started it three years ago. I have always said that the shuttle goes everyday, no minimum. In fact we just took one person yesterday. I don't think we ever met, so you must have met an imposter, or perhaps one of the knock off competitors. I would have never told you that we won't take you. Anyway, we have plenty of people for the 18th. Go to www.CaribeShuttle.com, or because it is so late, it would be best if you go to the main office in Puerto Viejo at Rocking J's Backpacker Resort, about 500 meters south of PV center. Or call the office at 2750-0626. If you have any problems call my cell, 8849-7600 (except I go to Bocas in a very soon).

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Solo traveller to Bocas del Toro

Straight from the horse's mouth!

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
54 reviews
8. Re: Solo traveller to Bocas del Toro

The guests from our hotel are always happy with the Caribe Shuttle service. It just makes going to Bocas very easy and you don't have to worry about issues at the border etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
47 reviews
9. Re: Solo traveller to Bocas del Toro

#6 i did meet you, and i think people misinterpreted my post. you told me you WOULD take me as a solo traveller, unlike the other companies. and i went this past weekend with you guys. all was well, great service, thanks! i definitely recommend caribe shuttle.

as for bocas del toro, i wish i had done more research before i went. i found it pretty disappointing. the town itself was ok, but once you have walked once or twice down the main street it was boring. all the food i had there was horrible. my hotel was a dump. the only saving grace was the sailing/snorkelling/dolphin watching tour (which i also booked through caribe shuttle). that was great! however if i were to go back i would probably stay on bastamientos or something instead of in the town.

Puerto Viejo
Level Contributor
92 posts
10. Re: Solo traveller to Bocas del Toro

Well I`m glad you spoke to me, and I`m glad your transportation went well, at least. Sorry that you found Bocas disappointing. That's the thing about Bocas: you need to get in a boat everyday to discover the outer islands. I like staying in town to have all the services handy and escape daily. There are some great places to eat, but you have to know where to look. There are some real gems and others that are certainly passable (for example Bocas Wine Bar, El Ultimo Refugio, Guari Guari, The Casba, Om Cafe, Lemongrass and others). It's tuff after a stay in Puerto Viejo. The abundance of yunny food offerings in Puerto Viejo can spoil travelors. Next time come to the office in Bocas and invite me to dinner; I'll make sure we hit the good cuisine ;-)

Please tell us where you stayed and where you ate!

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...