We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfboard to Jaco

Bath, United Kingdom
3 posts
Save Topic
Surfboard to Jaco

Hi,

I would really appreciate some help with this. I am coming on my own to Jaco in costa rica in January for 2 weeks, landing at the awkward time of 7:30pm into San Jose airport. Buses have stopped running to Jaco at this time, only the private shuttles of 'costa rica shuttle' offer surfboard carriage and they are $130 each way! So i guess im going to have to make my way to Jaco the next day.

Could anyone advise of the best and safest way to get to Jaco with a board, which wont cost a lot, i.e. under $50 each way? Or is it a matter of getting taxi to san jose, staying in a hostel, then going to the dodgy coca cola bus terminal and getting a bus?

Or...is it even worth taking a board at all and instead hiring? (I plan to surf most days).

Thanks a lot,

Claire

Melbourne, FL
Level Contributor
179 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfboard to Jaco

Claire, there is no inexpensive way to travel with a surfboard any more. The airlines charge you a fortune, not to mention the potential damage to your board. You didn't mention whether you have a short or long board, but most airlines have a limit nowadays. My wife and I used to travel with surfboards and we found that it is much easier to rent a board once you get there. Most good surf towns in CR have plenty of boards for rent at reasonable rates. If you must have your own stick, a rental car is also an option. I've never checked prices on a one-way hire. There's also Interbus, which is quite a bit cheaper than the $130 you wrote about. Have fun!

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfboard to Jaco

It is such a pain traveling with a board these days. Besides the cost of getting it there, you have to worry if some handler is gonna end up causing a ding to your board. There are lots of shops in Jaco, although most rental boards are geared more towards beginners. One option is buying a good used board while you are in CR, taking care of it, and reselling it before you leave. You might not get the same you paid for it, but the amount you lose might be worth not having to drag a board through an airport and buses...

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfboard to Jaco

Have to agree with the above. I don't know how to travel with boards with out spending $$$$. In Jaco we like to rent from Carton. They have a decent selection. http://www.jacosurfshop.com

Edited: 11 December 2010, 23:29
Bath, United Kingdom
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfboard to Jaco

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Sounds like renting out there is the best option. Board i'd want to hire would be a quad fish sort of shape, 6'2" ish, 21"+ wide and 2.5" thick. Not good enough to get on with 'proper shortboards'. Do you reckon the variety of rentals would stretch to that sort of thing?

Cheers

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfboard to Jaco

Hi Claire,

My brother is coming down in 2011 and he's a big surfer (goes to Hawaii each year, etc). He's already checked out all of the prices and since he's going to be here for about 30 days he's decided to buy a board and then just leave it here when he's done...still cheaper than bringing a board! Since you'll only be here for 2 weeks I"m not sure if that's the right option for you but one of the surf shops could probably help you with finding the kind of board you're looking for to rent or buy used. I personally haven't surfed in a while so I'm not sure if that specific board will be available in that area..you may need to be a little "flexible". :-) Enjoy!

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surfboard to Jaco

As mrolfes said, Carton's Surf Shop will probably be the place to check first. He is a shaper and they tend to have more board selection than the average surf shop. Would be worth a walk to the north end of town to check out Chuck's surf shop also.. I saw some pretty decent deals on used boards there the other day.

7. Re: Surfboard to Jaco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2010, 21:34
8. Re: Surfboard to Jaco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2011, 12:19