We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from SJO

7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel from SJO

We will be traveling from SJO to Quepos on March 9th. We have 4 people in our group. We wanted to rent a car and drive but heard it can be difficult to do without knowing where you are going and the roads. Would you recommend that we drive or that we take a shuttle? We have been to Quepos a few times before so we know how the roads are but want to see what recommendations would be.

Mentioned in this post
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Quepos
Quepos
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
7 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,705 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from SJO

At what time do you land?

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from SJO

We land early in the morning, around 8:30 am

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from SJO

I would rent a car. It's not a difficult drive and you'll have LOTS of time to get there.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,705 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from SJO

Check out the section Getting There: https:/… .

Manuel Antonio / Quepos area can be done without a car, too. We used a shared shuttle to get to our accommodations there and used taxis or local buses between the National Park and Quepos. Parking by the end closer to the park can be tricky. Very busy, lots of ppl trying to get you to park at "their" lots, souvenir vendors, lots of visitors walking...Depending on where you will be staying there, walking to the park (which is only possibly if you are in one of the hotels right by it) or taking an inexpensive local bus may be easier than parking there.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Quepos
Quepos
Neshkoro, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from SJO

I would suggest getting a shuttle. Taxis are easy to come by and not very expensive when you do get there.

Southend, UK
Level Contributor
358 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from SJO

Hi I have recently got back from an incredible trip to Costa Rica with my husband and we rented a car. I would definitely recommend it but please be aware that Google Maps and the Garmin Sat Nav which I downloaded a Costa Rica map on were not reliable. We drove firstly from San Jose to Manuel Antonio and the Sat Nav took us on a route that was definitely not what we would call a road. For 6 hours we went up and over mountains through rivers and up tracks that were nearly vertical with blind hairpin bends with sheer drops of thousands of feet, pot holes galore, loose shingle and rocks. I have never been so terrified in my life. I really thought that we wouldn't survive. If we had got a puncture or a broken axle that would have been the end for us. However we survived and we only had a normal SUV. So go ahead rent a car but use WAZE rather than sat nav or Google Maps or talk to the rent a car guy for advice on routes or use a map and avoid mountain tracks stick to the main mountain roads. We used Avis car rental, and unlike us get a 4 wheel drive as a lot of the roads are full of pot holes. When we told the guy at the hotel in Manuel Antonio the route we took he said it couldn't be done and then proceeded to tell all the other tourists at the hotel we were famous.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
7 posts
1 review