We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car.. hidden charges

2 posts
Save Topic
Rental car.. hidden charges

Two adults with 2 carryon luggages, better to rent compact or suv car because of road condition?.

Also why is so cheap, Alamo quoted $54 for one week through southwest airline. Traveling in July 2018.

Thanks advance for your responses.

Arenal Volcano and Tabacón Hot...
104 Reviews
from US$156.00*
Free Cancellation
6 in 1 Tour: Rainforest Adventures...
34 Reviews
from US$98.99*
Free Cancellation
Manuel Antonio National Park Day Trip...
96 Reviews
from US$131.00*
Free Cancellation
15 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,470 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car.. hidden charges

My guess is that the price doesnt include mandatory insurance and maybe not taxes and fees either.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car.. hidden charges

There are several good in-country agencies. If you book from out of CR you will not be given complete quotes. We don't know what type of vehicle you need without knowing where you'll be going. Road conditions vary regionally.

If you're driving to Jaco, for example, a small sedan is fine. You definitely need an SUV for Monteverde or the Osa.

July is next month and availability may be limited. I recommend Vamos. Everything is explained well on their website.

Mentioned in this post
Jaco
Jaco
Jaco District, Costa Rica
Monteverde
Monteverde
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Tucson,AZ
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car.. hidden charges

Don't use 3rd party sites to get a rental quote, go to the company Costa Rican site. And remember that third party liability insurance is mandatory, per Costa Rican law, so always add it on when your getting a quote. Collision insurance is also mandatory not by law but because of the company protecting their assets, if your credit card covers collision, you must show proof by way of a letter or a hard copy of your card's benefit guide. If you can't show proof the rental car company will insist you take out collision insurance also before renting you the vehicle.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car.. hidden charges

We rented through Enterprise in Liberia and everything worked out fine. I called the 1-800 number and asked for an international desk. Found out there wasn’t one and any of the agents could handle an international reservation. I had a letter from American Express detailing my insurance coverage, bought the other necessary insurance, and were in and out of the rental office in about 15 minutes with a small SUV.

Enterprise might have an international website or a .cr website. I confirmed my reservation rates that the phone operator gave me online and they were identical.

Edited: 18 June 2018, 04:19
Mentioned in this post
Liberia
Liberia
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car.. hidden charges

And how much does it cost you, Joey?! Surely not 54 USD/week??

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,517 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car.. hidden charges

Lunique - go to alamocostarica.com and enter your dates and desired car. The quote you receive will be much more accurate than anything you get through Southwest.

Once you've checked with Alamo CR, go to alamo.com and check the exact same dates and car. Sometimes alamo.com is less expensive then alamocostarica. Still, the franchise in CR will honor the reservation made under the .com (corporate) site.

And no, it will not be $54 a week - or even close to that.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car.. hidden charges

Our car rental experiences over the years have averaged cost of 50 to 65 USD a day. Coverage has included mandatory CR liability but not collision ( Visa credit card used for that) Vehicle usually a Hyundai 2WD Tucson or equivalent. I sure would like to hear more on what Joey's costs were for a small SUV.

CR mandatory liability added on top of a mere 8 USD a day sure would save me a ton of cash !!

Edited: 19 June 2018, 00:47
Tucson,AZ
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car.. hidden charges

Today a from Alamo, a Grand VitarI out of LIR is available for 50.00 week plus. The break down for 2 weeks in July was 100.00 rental.35.00 airport fee 6.00 environmental fee, 21.00 license fee,and 168.00 TPL insurance for $330. for 14 days.

San Diego, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car.. hidden charges

Ask about the deposit,,some charge thousands of dollars. Do not use Payless near the airport; it is a horrible company that scams customers. The rate you mention sounds like something fro Expedia. In my opinion it is false advertising. That rate is nowhere near what you will pay. However, you can try and read all of the legal small print, but even then it will say "it depends" and if you call expedia..even they do not know! Only once you arrive at the rental counter, exhausted from a long trip will you know the details of the price. I had a horrible experience using expedia to find the car rental agency, and then the Payless location was a franchise, and the service, cars and support were really bad. That particular location requires a $5,000 deposit on your credit card, will require you to sign blank legal documents where they get to add anything they want at a later date, and then give you a beat up car with lots of damage. Then...when you return the car they will charge you, using your deposit that they required and the blank legal documents, for damage they say you caused while renting the car. I filed complaints with my credit card company and also with the tourist agencies in Costa Rica.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Diego, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental car.. hidden charges

This has been my experience as well. This amount is what it really costs to rent a car..what a tourist will pay in total for an automatic car, including all of the misc fees and the insurance in case you cause damage to another person or another car while you are renting the vehicle. Supposedly the credit card company will cover damage to the car..but it depends. My card says it does, but not to SUVs which is what I usually like to rent here in costa rica or in Chle.

Reply to: Rental car.. hidden charges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted