We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose to Guanacaste

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
San Jose to Guanacaste

Hello!

We are trying to get from San Jose -> Guanacaste as quickly as possible. Is it safe to drive? How much would it cost to hire a driver? Our flight arrives at 8:30pm.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose to Guanacaste

Where are you going in Guanacaste? For the umpity umpth time, "Guanacaste" is not a real destination but a rather large province in Costa Rica with quite a few towns.

Kind of like if I asked you, "I'm arriving at 3:00 pm in New York and heading for New England. How long will it take me to get there?"

Edited: 17 May 2011, 22:04
Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose to Guanacaste

Depending on where you go in Guanacaste, it could take you 4 hours or more,

the drive is easy, but don't do it at night., get a good night sleep, and head out next morning. With the pice of gas these days, I don't know what transport company are charging, but check with tucanlimoservices.com/ very highly recommended.

clifton, nj
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose to Guanacaste

Hi I too am trying to plan a trip to CR from NYC and I am having 2nd thoughts of staying all week at the AI deserted Riu. I want to visit it all north and south.

Can you give me some advice? I want to fly into cheaper San Jose and travel to some real nice beaches and a rain forest. I am not in to the volcanoe stuff. Just want to see nice blue water beaches and a some green jungles. lol. Is it safe for us to travel by rental car on our own from SJ to Tamarindo etc.? Any advice thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,817 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Jose to Guanacaste

Perfectly safe and good roads a lot better than some around New Jersey...and Florida...just common sense...observe your driving distance...and speed...tickets over $ 500.00 USD...

Also is OK to hire driver...hopefully with a good vehicle...good insurance and bilingual...not one with no insurance a old Korean car and no English!

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Dunwoody, Georgia
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Jose to Guanacaste

Real safe to travel via rental car from SJO to Tamarindo, but that will take you several hours. You could reach great beaches and national park in Manuel Antonio in 3 hours or so. Getting a guide for the park is best. Nothing wrong with staying at Riu, but you wont experience the real Costa Rica, just typical AI food, etc. I wouldnt do it, I like to eat in local places, meet locals, get real feel/taste of CR. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Jose to Guanacaste

Nothing wrong with staying at the RIU if you don't mind their ugly environmental record and the isolation.

Really, for Costa Rica, AI is not the best thing.

Rroman, you don't say how long you will be in Costa Rica, but I would recommend Manuel Antonio for what you are looking for. Lots to do in the area and you will get beach and forest. www.manuelantoniopark.com

The inland area near Tamarindo is mostly plains and farms but it is possible to do day trips to some nearby National Parks: Rincon de la Vieja, Miravalles, Tenorio and Palo Verde - 2 hours or less from Tamarindo. If you decide to go to Tamarindo, you will be better off to fly into Liberia (LIR) which is about 45 minutes from Tamarindo rather than SJO which is about 5 hours from Tamarindo.

For distances and travel times - www.yourtravelmap.com

For National Park information - www.costarica-nationalparks.com

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Rincon de La Vieja
Rincon de La Vieja
Liberia
Liberia
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,817 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Jose to Guanacaste

Sorry now I see that you are arriving at 8:30PM...be extra carefull driving at night ...in your case maybe better hiring a driver or spending the night in San Jose...then drive next day!

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Jose to Guanacaste

For nice beaches and tropical rain forests, head for the Caribbean side around Puerto Viejo. Tamarindo and Guancaste is mostly a tropical dry forest, kind of dry and brown in its dry season.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,817 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Jose to Guanacaste

I posted the following last night!

The Costa rican DOT just release a warning about some roads that are considering to be dangerous during rainy days or night time driving...among those!

1- Route 32 in the sections San Jose- Guapiles....and 36 between Limon and Sixaola...this section mostly for big floods caused most of the time by Sixaola and Chirripo rivers.

2- Panamerican road North ... Mountain sections between San Ramon and Puntarenas.

Also from Puntarenas to Liberia.

Pan Am. South around Cerro de la Muerte on the way to San Isidro del General, Perez Zeledon.

3- Also in mountains road around Monte del Aguacate.

Route 4...between Vara Blanca de Heredia-Muelle de San Carlos...very inestable and dangerous.

4- Route 27 new road to Orotina and Caldera. The most dangerous section on 27th ...around 11 Kms..between Atenas and Orotina.

Also around Parrita and Quepos where some big floods accurred on the past by rivers..Parrita or Quepos...by Paquita!

Just take in consideration that the advice is for rainy days and night drive during the rainy season that just started!

Please buckle up and enjoy the ride on PARADISE!...and follow the DOT advice...have a nice and safe drive...it is possible!

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Liberia
Liberia
Heredia
Heredia
Province of Heredia, Costa Rica
Quepos
Quepos
Costa rica
Level Contributor
87 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Jose to Guanacaste

Landing in Alajuela, is the best option in your situation .....blue water beaches and green jungles ....closer area: Central Pacific ....maybe no blue water .....but you can spend a very good time in some beautiful beaches .....nice easy going " green jungles " : Carara and Manuel Antonio; both national parks.

Depending on your time .... you can extend your visit to some other areas ...

Also, driving is fine, just be sure that you have all info, before you get from: A to B ......

Pura Vida ...

Mentioned in this post
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio