We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air NZ Dreamliner into Rarotonga

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Air NZ Dreamliner into Rarotonga

Has anyone flown into Rarotonga in the last couple of weeks on the Dreamliner - since the "problems"?

We are booked on the Dreamliner, Sydney to Raro on Friday night and am somewhat concerned. I notice that future Friday direct flights are all on 777's.

Cheers

Di

Mentioned in this post
Rarotonga
Rarotonga
Southern Cook Islands, Cook Islands
9 replies to this topic
Auckland
Level Contributor
82 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air NZ Dreamliner into Rarotonga

Hi Di :) we flew in last week on the Dreamliner and it was perfect - we felt spoilt as we had booked premium economy and everything was fab. There didn’t appear to be any problems at all that we noticed, but then we were eager to get here - the weather’s been great and checking the forecast for when you arrive, looks like it will be lovely for your trip.

Cheers Felicity

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air NZ Dreamliner into Rarotonga

Okay, thanks Felicity. Maybe the Dreamliners on the Syd-Rar route are the ones that are okay but it does seem strange that they will change to the 777 as of next Friday. We are on a ship at the moment but will arrive back in Sydney tomorrow morning so I will ring Air NZ in the morning to clarify.

Hopefully we will have no problems either. So looking forward to being back there again. Keep the sunshine coming for me. Looks like a bit of a change on Saturday.

Cheers

Di

Auckland
Level Contributor
82 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air NZ Dreamliner into Rarotonga

Hi again Di - yes, I agree it does seem odd, we are flying home on a 777 but that was always part of the booking. Better to call and put your mind at rest, but honestly we loved it.

I must be looking at the optimist’s weather report as it’s saying sunny for a few days after your arrival and then rain maybe for a day or two later. Having said that, we are coming into rain tomorrow and I do think everything looks so fresh and pretty afterwards - as long as it doesn’t go on for too long lol.

Cheers

Felicity

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,393 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air NZ Dreamliner into Rarotonga

Hi

Yes, it would be best to ring AirNZ. There is nothing on their site about changes on that route but that means nothing.

Hopefully your flights will still be on the 787. A lovely plane as I'm sure you know. The Business Class cabin is excellent, particularly on the 'A' side as it's like a small private cabin with no-one on the opposite side looking at you. The right hand side looks so crowded in comparison.

Good luck with the weather. The forecasts do look a bit changeable.

Edited: 02 January 2018, 14:02
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,264 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air NZ Dreamliner into Rarotonga

There were delayed flights early on when Air NZ's aircrafts experienced problems. In recent weeks I noted that the Dreamliner flights arrived and departed on time, possibly due to Air NZ having leased a couple of aircraft from Portugal.

My flight into Auckland was a 777 being inbound from LAX/RAR, but what I have noticed is that Air NZ run the 787 on certain flights and due to peak demand.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air NZ Dreamliner into Rarotonga

Thanks everyone for your input. We are now home and I have called Air NZ and wasn't overly impressed. The guy I spoke to really had no idea of 'any' problem with the Dreamliner despite it being reported on their own website and in the NZ Herald but then went on to tell me that the planes were all being serviced and the 'problem' wasn't considered dangerous and the planes didn't need to be grounded. I queried the 777 beginning next week and he really had no answer except that it was perhaps because they needed more space.

We have flown on the Dreamliner a few times and whilst it is a nice plane, I actually prefer the 777 merely because of its size but up until now was quite happy that the Dreamliner had replaced the old 767. Our flight is saying "No Seats Available" and yet when I do a dummy seat change, there are 4 seats left in Business. I am quite happy with my seat and notice that the A seats are still available which hopefully means no crying babies (watch that change just to make my day lol).

Hopefully, it will be a 'dream' flight and we will all arrive in Raro to commence another wonderful holiday.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Di

Auckland
Level Contributor
82 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air NZ Dreamliner into Rarotonga

Hi Di and thanks for the update - sorry that Air NZ weren’t helpful. They really should be able to provide information when queried. Despite that, I’m sure you will have a wonderful flight and enjoy being back. Have a relaxing stay.

Cheers Felicity

Edited: 03 January 2018, 14:44
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air NZ Dreamliner into Rarotonga

Well, we arrived safely and yes, it was a dream flight lol.

On arrival at Sydney Airport, we were advised by an Air NZ Rep that there was just a small problem with some of the engines. Well, that was a relief, engine trouble should be fine (sarcasm noted). Finally the ladies on the desk in the Business Class Lounge informed us that the problem was with the Dreamliners on the Ditch crossing route which is why they hired the Hi-Fly planes. With that info, I was greatly relieved and enjoyed some much needed Champagne.

I managed to get some sleep but it’s never enough so once we got to the Resort (by 7am) we got straight into bed and didn’t wake up until 2pm.

Very happy at the Sunset Resort (much better than Manuia Resort) and enjoyed our meal at the Anchorage Restaurant last night. DH feels like a good steak so it’s next door to Alberto’s tonight which we really enjoyed on our last visit.

Monday, it’s Te Vakaroa.

Cheers

Di

Mentioned in this post
Sunset Resort
Sunset Resort
716 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Manuia Beach Resort
Manuia Beach Resort
522 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Te Vakaroa Villas
Te Vakaroa Villas
175 Reviews
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,264 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air NZ Dreamliner into Rarotonga

Hello Di,

Lovely to hear that your flight into Raro went well. Ironically I read the updates posted on the Air NZ site this morn. Good to see that they are keeping some customers informed of the aircraft's engines events.

Nice to hear that the Sunset is your current happy place, and the meal in the Anchorage was favourable. Take care and enjoy the island vibe.

Edited: 07 January 2018, 09:42
Reply to: Air NZ Dreamliner into Rarotonga
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted