We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the best reef shoes available Australia

the best reef shoes available Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2018, 21:09

11 replies to this topic
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
87 reviews
1. Re: the best reef shoes available Australia

I'm sure the cheaper ones are fine - that's certainly all we have ever used. These are only for added protection from coral and stonefish. If you were using them every day over a long period of time I'd say pay more but I really think the ones you have seen at Big W will do the job perfectly!

Lake Macquarie...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
150 reviews
2. Re: the best reef shoes available Australia

Hi kiwicurls,

I'm afraid I can't agree with Scottygirl. If you were unlucky enough to tread on a stonefish, the cheap BigW reef shoes wouldn't afford you much protection.

We purchase our shoes from Rebel Sports, they have some excellent shoes for around $20. These have sturdy soles and are easy to get on and off even when wet. Check out their website.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,497 posts
295 reviews
3. Re: the best reef shoes available Australia

Hi kiwicurls

Most people wear ones that look similar to this. As you can see, they are very reasonably priced. I would guess that the ones from Big W are similar.

https:/…R2201402.html

They don't last for a lifetime, but do the job. You can leave them behind if you don't think you'll be needing them in the near future for the next lot of visitors. Resorts often have a selection that can be borrowed along with snorkelling equipment, but they are so inexpensive it's best to have your own.

But they really are necessary.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
87 reviews
4. Re: the best reef shoes available Australia

My reef shoes look like the photo attached my nzlilibet and cost around $15 from No 1 Shoes here in NZ. I've worn them many times both in the water and for walks along the beach and they are still like new. They have extremely sturdy soles. I don't know what the Big W ones are like so assumed they would be like the ones I have. I am certain you can get some decent ones for around $20 though - I see Rebel Sport have them in Australia for under $20.

Edited: 03 January 2018, 13:20
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
130 reviews
5. Re: the best reef shoes available Australia

Like Scottygirl, I wear cheaper reef shoes and have had them for ages. I'm on the beaches and wading into the lagoons a lot, living on Raro for most of the year. Ensure that you kick your shod feet sideways to disturb any fish in the water, when you first enter; including to disturb a stone fish if present.

There is a surf and aqua sports shop in Avarua (on Raro) that sells a very sturdy NZ-made reef shoe. Possibly Bata footwear. These are priced cheaper than they are sold in NZ for! CITC main store in Avarua also sell reef shoes around $40.00 - for all ages.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
40 reviews
6. Re: the best reef shoes available Australia

If you have an old pair of trainers with thick soles, they will work as well.

2 posts
7. Re: the best reef shoes available Australia

The ones I took were reef shoes from the Roxy brand https:/…

They were really great in and out of the water,were about $25-$30 and weren't as ugly as some of the aqua shoes. Quiksilver also have similar ones if you need to buy them for guys.

8. Re: the best reef shoes available Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2018, 21:09

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
190 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: the best reef shoes available Australia

I have got two pair. The soft type I use where there isn't a large presence of coral but the best reef/water shoes I have were bought at the Dive and Surf Shop in Rarotonga. I get comments on them all the time about how pretty they are but they have a good thick sole on them and they weren't hideously priced - I think around $NZ30. Both pair will be on the plane with me tonight.

Cheers

Di

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
437 posts
48 reviews
10. Re: the best reef shoes available Australia

Hello :)

We headed to Vanuatu last year and got ours from Amart All Sports here on the GoldCoast for around $20!

Very sturdy, yet very light and we wore them a lot!

Still in perfect condition :)

(We saw them online first- so check online too)

:)

Reply to: the best reef shoes available Australia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga
Recent Conversations