We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile phone use in Rarotonga

4 posts
mobile phone use in Rarotonga

Hi everyone - thanks for all the helpful advice I have read so far. My family ( husband and 3 teens) are travelling to raro on the 12th for 9 days. I am really worried about mobile phone charges and wondering if anyone form australia can give me any info? The kids want their phones for music photos etc but happy to turn off mobile data. Looking online however I have heard horror stories that iphones can generate charges due to diff apps and backups etc etc.Has anyone experienced this? I know there is a travel sim but the whole process of unlocking all our phones seems daunting! Any advice appreciated. Mel

3 replies to this topic
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
87 reviews
1. Re: mobile phone use in Rarotonga

Put all of the phones on to flight mode - this will disable all data and mobile roaming. Then, if you and your kids want to use some internet they can buy Bluesky vouchers for wifi - these are not cheap but it will give access if you are in a Bluesky wifi area. You can use this while in flight mode. Also as an added precaution I turn off mobile roaming... can't be too careful!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,940 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: mobile phone use in Rarotonga

Kia Orana Mel,

welcome to the Cook Islands forum.

Go into one of the Bluesky offices on Raro, including the one at the airport if you have time, and talk to the sales staff. You may find that purchasing a local SIM card and data package for $49.00 is more cost-effective. Perhaps start with one phone on Bluesky to see how it goes for pricing and connectivity.

The Aroa core-station that was burnt down in November has been completely restored, and was up and running well just prior to Chrtistmas.

The Wifi vouchers have standard pricing but the company also offer regular specials for Wifi passes. Bluesky can advise you what is available. Specials tend to be on sale at weekends and on Wednesdays.

4 posts
3. Re: mobile phone use in Rarotonga

Thankyou both for your help - very much appreciated.

Reply to: mobile phone use in Rarotonga
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted