We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone familiar with lodging at Long Rifle Lodge by...

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anyone familiar with lodging at Long Rifle Lodge by...

Anyone familiar with lodging at Long Rifle Lodge close to Matanuska Glacier? How are the rooms? Are they clean? Would we hear noise from the road or other rooms? Other than the price (much cheaper than other places in the area) there is no info about the rooms on their website.

Mentioned in this post
Matanuska Glacier
Matanuska Glacier
430 Reviews
Alaska
Alaska's Harvest B&B
Alaska's Harvest B&B
#1 of 13 B&Bs / Inns in Palmer
Hatcher Pass Bed & Breakfast
Hatcher Pass Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 13 B&Bs / Inns in Palmer
Alaska Garden Gate B & B
Alaska Garden Gate B & B
#3 of 13 B&Bs / Inns in Palmer
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,460 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone familiar with lodging at Long Rifle Lodge by...

Hello there! I used to live near there many years ago - and Long Rifle was old then, so I would expect very basic rooms. Have you considered Sheep Mtn Lodge, which is just a bit further up the road? I prefer their food and I know their lodging is clean. I also know of a delightful cabin rental just down the road if you are interested. I am not sure what they charge, but it's a beautiful cabin - bedroom as well as a loft, living room, complete kitchen and bath facilities with an incredible view. I am sure it's probably $100 a night, but not certain. I would be happy to give you further info if you are interested. :)

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone familiar with lodging at Long Rifle Lodge by...

Yes, please give me the info for the cabin - any pictures online maybe?

Sheep Mtn. Lodge is $135, Tundra Rose B&B is $125, Majestic Valley Lodge is $115, Long Rifle Lodge is $75, so I figured if there is someone on the forums here that has actually stayed in this place and says it's not bad I would rather pick the cheaper one.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,460 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone familiar with lodging at Long Rifle Lodge by...

Well, they don't have a website - but I have stayed here and it's a great place. It's tucked into a residential area, so you would have the peace and quiet you want - no highway noises, and one of the most incredible views that I know. Call (907) 746-0868/Brian & Lori Lee, Innkeepers. Hope this helps. :)

WI
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone familiar with lodging at Long Rifle Lodge by...

Stayed there in Sept. 2008. Rooms were being remodeled. Very clean and comfy. Lodge has a fantastic view of the glacier and the food was great! Friends stayed at the State Park Cabin. They raved about it. We can't wait for our next visit.

Alaska
Level Contributor
158 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone familiar with lodging at Long Rifle Lodge by...

I haven't stayed at Long Rifle for many years but when I did the rooms were clean, not large but OK. The cafe has always had good, not great food. There are many full mounted animals on display in the cafe, muskox, bears etc. There is a small bar on the level below the cafe. When I stayed there the only people in the bar were people staying at the Lodge, it closed early, again no noise. There are three rooms attached to the original lodge building and several more that have been added on. The added on rooms are in portable structures called ATCO buildings in Alaska. I've never been in the newer rooms but I suspect they are smaller than the older rooms. As discussed earlier, a million dollar view. I've stayed at Sheep Mountain as well. Good place good food. If it were me I'd stay at Long Rifle for the view.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
6. Re: Anyone familiar with lodging at Long Rifle Lodge by...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Palmer