We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

johannesburg airport

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
johannesburg airport

Does anyone know if the new transit terminal at Johannesburg airport is completed yet. If not how long is the walk from Terminal A international arrivals to Terminal B Domestic departures

Also has anyone got any reassuring stories about luggage not having locks smashed, cases slashed, being broken into & contents stolen, as all I can find are horror stories

Any other tips on Johannesburg airport gratefully accepted

Thanks everyone

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: johannesburg airport

housebuilder, rest assured the building works are complete and the transit from international to domestic are a pleasure, even with a trolley full of luggage. A leisurely stroll. no hassle, good quality coffee stops, pick up a paper, leave your luggage in storage, etc. A real change.

have travelled to SA regularly for over 20 years and have never had our luggage tampered with or anything stolen. We never shrink wrap and donit bother with fancy locks - just basic ones and a couple of broad colourful starps (helps make it easier to see them coming on the carousel too). Our luggage is not top of the range posh stuff either so probably doesn't stand out from the crowd. If all you can find are horror stories, you need to read TA reports more carefully. The vast majority of posters share my experience. However, I do appreciate the heartache tha the unlucky ones have had. We have had a couple of times over the years when one of our bits of luggage have arrived 24 hours late, usually because of tight connections.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: johannesburg airport

mmm

we had a 5 hour transit at Jo'burg a few weeks ago, after booking 4 cases through from Port Elizabeth to Heathrow. All cases had co loured bands on them plus padlocks. One of the cases was opened, rummaged through and a bottle of £72 perfume was missing plus paperwork (copies of passport, driving licence, travel insurance also rummaged through). The bands and padlock were reinstated , therefore the loss not noticed until unpacking at home next day.

I travel up to 3 months of the year worldwide and this is the first instance of theft.

I have written to the airport authorities in South Africa and the response was ' yes we have a problem with theft but we are reducing it by installing CTVs and that we should to go back to the airline, blah blah.' The problem is now being investigated by S African Airways.

Don't worry about the terminals, they are very efficient and not much walking involved compared with Heathrow or Stansted .

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: johannesburg airport

Thanks very much for your reassuring reply. I got another reply aswell but that was another horror story so I guess it`s just the luck of the draw

The reviews I looked at were of Johannesburg airport itself but then I suppose its only the people who have a complaint who will bother to write

Thanks once again

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: johannesburg airport

Hi housebuilder,

I deal with thousands of folk travelling through Joburg airport every year, and I can't remember a single piece of luggage being tampered with.

There have been a few cases of missing luggage, but they have been very rare and on every occasion the luggage has been restored to it's owner. In one instance, the luggage followed us for 400km before it caught up with us.

On another occasion, a suitcase travelled over 20,000kms following its owner, travelling on 5 different airlines, visiting 8 different countries, and doing over 2000kms by road, crossing the Zambezi River twice and the Limpopo once. It was handled by many, many different people in 4 different African countries, and it was never opened once. It never had a lock on it.

And Gem ... without trying to be funny ... Africans don't use perfume. Lol! (Please don't take offence).

I'm not saying tampering doesn't happen ... it does, but rarely!

Hope this puts your mind at rest.

Edited: 21 February 2012, 00:59
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,126 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: johannesburg airport

Please do not believe all the horror stories you read.

I have been in the travel industry for only 8 years, but during that time, having met THOUSANDS of people at OR Tambo International, I can tell you that I know personally, of only three cases where passengers "LOST" something.

( Apart from the classic "Lost Luggage" scenario where the airline sent the luggage to the wrong destination, or, it never made it onto the flight in the first place).

All 3 of the cases I remember turned out to the clients own fault. One was a lap top, one was a camera, and one was an iPad. In all three cases, the items were left either on the aircraft, or on the bus, by the passengers themselves!!

Regards,

Gavin

Serval Tours & Transfers

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: johannesburg airport

this was not meant to be a horror story, just a statement of fact. Whilst the authorities , to use their own words in their email to me , 'do not deny there is a problem of theft' , I am sure given the volumes of luggage passing through the airport, you do have to be unlucky for it to happen to you. The original poster has read all the reports and even the CEO of SAA in August 2011 said that theft at Tambo was 'out of control' .As I stated in my post, we travel thousands of airmiles every year ( mostly in undeveloped countries) and this is the first problem encountered.

I certainly have not let this spoil my holiday and am already researching my return to your beautiful country.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: johannesburg airport

Hi Gem,

We were certainly not trying to get at you. Your posts have always have always been balanced.

However, we were trying to put things into perspective. When one 1 out of 2 posters report a problem, it producers a very different impression to the hundreds of thousands of travellers who don't have any problems.

As to SAA taking responsibility for theft being "out of control" ... Well, the CEO of SAA wouldn't have a clue, even if he did care, particularly seeing that SAA has little to do with baggage handling ... it's actually ACSA (the Airports Company of SA) who is responsible for baggage handling. And the customs guys also may have a hand in ...

But please ... don't take offence. We were trying to get some perspective. I don't doubt that you had this unfortunate incident.

And thanks for remaining so positive about SA. We value visitors like yourself.

Germiston, South...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: johannesburg airport

Excuse me for asking, but how did you know the loss occurred at Johannesburg?

From what you say, it seems the luggage had passed through three airports on your trip home, before the loss was discovered

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: johannesburg airport

Hi BushkidO

Thanks very much for your reply.

Every other review I read, coupled with the reviews on Johannesburg airport itself plus the CEO of SAA saying theft was out of control had really worried me.

Thanks to all the responses though, I am beginning to think that things have been blown up out of all proportion so thanks for your contribution

I will post my experience when I return

Kind regards

Port Allen...
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: johannesburg airport

I made 3 trips to Johannesburg 2011. The airport was wonderful a long walk to baggage area but not bad nor to immigration. I was treated with courtesy by both airlines & other government officials. However, you must be on your toes at all times in Africa everyone is looking for money. Taxi service I do not trust especially hop along taxis. Pretoria a better city for tourist & Gauteng train is clean, secure & a quick way to get to Pretoria can catch it at the airport. Chesafari@yahoo.com