We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

johannesburg airport

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
johannesburg airport

Does anyone know if the new transit terminal at Johannesburg airport is completed yet. If not how long is the walk from Terminal A international arrivals to Terminal B Domestic departures

Also has anyone got any reassuring stories about luggage not having locks smashed, cases slashed, being broken into & contents stolen, as all I can find are horror stories

Any other tips on Johannesburg airport gratefully accepted

Thanks everyone

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: johannesburg airport

No problem at all with luggage here too. Staff friendly and helpful at airport.

UAE
Level Contributor
376 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: johannesburg airport

We had a theft from our suitcase in January whilst flying between Johannesburg and Cape Town. It was a Samsonite suitcase with a built-in combination lock and around the case we had a strap, again with a built-in combination lock. We only discovered the two missing items when we started to unpack. One item was a small scale for weighing bags and the other missing item was a razor and blades, all brand new. They were valued at about £25 but it wasn’t the money that concerned us. It was simply the knowledge that someone either in Joburg or Cape Town had managed to open two combination locks, look through the bag, then replace the strap so we only noticed something was missing well after we had left the airport. We have travelled numerous times through Joburg airport without incident. This was the first time we had put a strap around the bag and may be that drew someone’s attention to the case. We’ll travel strapless in future!

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: johannesburg airport

I have concerns - my daughter is about to travel to J'burg airport with a connection to Port Elizabeth on a gap year adventure and hasn't travelled much on her own. She is concerned about the transfer from a BA flight from London to a SA Airways flight connection to Port Elizabeth. Does the baggage get passed on or does she have to pick it up at J'burg and then check in again with SA Airways for her onward flight? She bought the tickets together and not independently. She is also concerned about the long walk to the domestic flight departures and being hassled by porters who demand money - these are horror stories that she has read! Any advice would put my mind at rest!

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,160 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: johannesburg airport

CZ27,

As far as I know, your daughter will have to go through passport control, baggage claim, and customs at Johannesburg ( O. R. Tambo International) airport, as it is her "port of entry" into South Africa.

She will then have to walk from Terminal A arrivals, to Terminal B departures, for check in to her Port Elizabeth flight.

This is hardly a hardship, or a long walk. The two terminals are under the same roof, and the walk will take under 5 minutes, being about 200 metres.

It will, however, necessitate using an escalator, or lift, to ascend from ground level ( International arrivals) to the second floor ( domestic departure check in).

Everything is well signposted, and there are many friendly South Africans about, to offer free advice ( including the official porters, who wear orange shirts / vests).

If accosted by a porter, she need only be firm, and say "No thank you", and the person will leave.

Sometimes, there are "chancers".... unofficial porters ( NOT wearing orange). All one need do is call in a loud voice for SECURITY ( and there is LOTS of security in our airport), and the problem will go away.

The "horror stories" are 99% just that.... STORIES.

I have no idea why, but there are people who delight in accentuating problems they encountered at Johannesburg, as if problems never occur anywhere else. Believe me, they do ( occur elsewhere, I mean).

But people seem to delight in "blacklisting" Johannesburg, for some perverse reason.

I have met thousands of people at the airport, and NEVER had a problem, so, I think this nonsense about Johannesburg airport needs to be laid to rest !!

I recently had Canadian clients who lost laptops, cameras & binoculars at Toronto, in an internal Canadian flight........ happens everywhere, but you only get to hear about Johannesburg .....

Your daughter should exercise common sense ( as when travelling anywhere in the world) and she will have an awesome time in my beautiful country.

Regards

Gavin

Edited: 01 April 2013, 19:56
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: johannesburg airport

Hi Gavin

Thank you for your quick response to my post. I really appreciate your guidance - I know that there are a lot of people putting negative posts up as I suspected. I am sure she will be fine and have a wonderful time! You never stop worrying about your children - whatever age they are!

Durban...
5 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: johannesburg airport

Inbound international flights are fine, its domestic air travel when things can go messing from your bags. I buy these little tamper evident luggage seals called Bukalocs from CNA, great for peace of mind and have not had anything go missing from my luggage since! (plus its much cheaper than wrapping) Safe Travels!

Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: johannesburg airport

Hope your trip was fine and all the "horror rumors" were unfounded. I find that Trip Advisor usually reports the things that you need to be aware of and not the worst case scenarios. Does anyone know what date on the dollar bill is acceptable on the currency exchange. When I went to exchange my bills, they no longer accepted anything dated 2004 or before that. Do I need to get more up-to-date currency?

18. Re: johannesburg airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 06:05
19. Re: johannesburg airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 12:16