We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg for a day or 2..Please advise

Cali
Level Contributor
105 posts
13 reviews
Johannesburg for a day or 2..Please advise

Im going on a tour with Lion World March 2013 first capetown then Jo'Burg. The tour is not long enough so I plan to expand for a day or maybe 2 in Jo'Burg. A little nervous because I will expanding by myself once the tour is over. Im trying to figure out where is the best place for me to stay. I see The Resident Boutique had great reviews but is this the best area to stay in? Any suggestions on a good hotel in ideal area. Ive heard so many people say Jo'Burg is not very safe so of course im nervous being by myself. I travel enough international and smart enough not to go places at night by myself so all my activies will be during the day so trying to figure out what are the top places to go with the short amount of time i have. Definitely want to go to some sort of craft market (dont know what I will see @Pilansberg Park/Bakubung Lodge) Maybe go to Apartheid museum or whatever else I can do. I need to decide by monday morning if I will stay 1day or 2days extra and figure out best safe economic location for single female traveler. If stay 2nites dont want to spend no more then 150 a night but if I only stay 1night I will pay more. Just want to be safe.

Recap...Please advise of best hotel/location for me to stay and your highlight places to go/see if only staying and addtional 1 or 2days in Jo'burg.

Thanks

Cali
Level Contributor
105 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Johannesburg for a day or 2..Please advise

One other thing I would like to ask. Are there tours in J'Burg that take you to townships (Shanty Towns) I want to see the real not just the fixed up city part. Prefer a group tour but dont want to spend 8-9hours on tour. Open to private driver if have no other option.

2. Re: Johannesburg for a day or 2..Please advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2018, 23:03
Cali
Level Contributor
105 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Johannesburg for a day or 2..Please advise

Dont know if you saw but i said $150usd a night going to stay 2nights at most. I will pay a little more if have to especially if really nice in good area but would like to keep it at tht range. I think the 3 most important things i want to do is craft market, apartheid museum, and mandela house and perhaps some sort of shanty town tour. I just need to know whats a good location to be in that is not going to take me over a hour to get to J'burg airport when I leave.

Can anyone help with this???

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Johannesburg for a day or 2..Please advise

Have a look at these:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g312578-c2-Johannes…

Look on the map that is on the right-hand side of the screen. If the establishment is in a suburb near either the Sandton or Rosebank Gautrain stations (see http://join.gautrain.co.za/map.aspx ) it is in a safe area, and the Gautrain will efficiently get you to the airport when you leave. When you find an establishment you like, contact them direct and discuss your requirements, plans, concerns etc with them - you'll soon get a feel for what will work for you.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Johannesburg for a day or 2..Please advise

Activities: Browse through a couple of months of the Jhb forum and you should get some answers - a lot of people seem to have been asking similar questions recently. And once you find accommodation I'm sure the accommodation provider will also have ideas about tours and guides. Not too sure about the "shanty town tour" though - while I applaud your desire to see the grim reality, if I were forced to scratch out my survival in a shack in an informal settlement I don't think I'd appreciate tourists dropping in to gasp in shock and pity. Anyway, if you go to Soweto to see the house where Nelson Mandela lived in the 1950s you will sadly see a lot of poverty on the way.

Cali
Level Contributor
105 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Johannesburg for a day or 2..Please advise

Thanks your for your help Auntie. I think i pretty much know what i want to see im just having an issue figuring out where to stay. I think I do want a guest house/B&B/Colonial feel type accomodations but it seems they are kind of secluded and cant walk to anything(i could be wrong.) Dont need it to be bustling with activites just be abe to walk to at leats a nearby restaurant or store if i choose. But I will keep searching I have time thats why I started early

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Johannesburg for a day or 2..Please advise

There are restaurants in the suburbs and presumably some suburban B&Bs would be within walking distance of one or more of them, while others would not. Also some suburbs - Parkhust, for instance - have quite a vibrant street life, in a sanitised, upmarket sort of a way. You'd need to check location with the management of any B&B you like the look of.

Another alternative that occurs to me is the Rosebank Holiday Inn: a bit of a soulless choice but it shares a pedestrian precinct with a whole bunch of eating places. Would be safe to wander around in the evening so long as you didn't stray into dark corners. Also it's across the road from the Gautrain station (note that the train runs well underground at this point, so not next to a railway line as such) so your ride to the airport would be easy. www.thezoneatrosebank.co.za

Another alternative is Melrose Arch, a pleasant enough, very artificial, gated precinct between Rosebank and Sandton - consists of offices, a shopping mall, restaurants and two hotels, one of which, the IMO risibly-named Fire and Ice, would be within your budget. If I've read you right the whole concept will repel you, but I thought I'd mention it: it does have safety and convenience on its side. proteahotels.com/protea-hotel-fire-ice-melro… and www.melrosearch.co.za

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Johannesburg for a day or 2..Please advise

Typo - "Parkhust" is actually "Parkhurst".

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
9. Re: Johannesburg for a day or 2..Please advise

The best place for you to stay is fur sure www.soulfusion.co.za Peter can show you around the city or go with to Pilanusburg.

check them out:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g312580-d734989…

We stayed there too and it is a fab. place!

And Joburg is not unsafer then Cape town!

greeting, Annemieke

Edited: 22 October 2012, 16:17
Cali
Level Contributor
105 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Johannesburg for a day or 2..Please advise

Thanks Everyone! I found a boutique hotel that has good reviews on TA and is in a good location so I think I will like. :-)

@Annemike you must work @ Soul Fusion (or @ least have stock lol) because I see you most this message for everyone about this hotel.