We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bit of help, please: In/out of Joburg, 18 days, early Jan

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
342 reviews
Save Topic
Bit of help, please: In/out of Joburg, 18 days, early Jan

Fellow forumers...I'm going to be one of those annoying 'don't know what to do' types.

So, here's the deal. We're flying in/out of Joburg (miles flights not available to get me an open-jaw flight in/out of Cape Town). About 18 nights arriving January 2.

We want to do Cape Town, safari (Kruger maybe?), wine tour etc. You know, the whole shooting match. Not worried about driving.

I guess my question is, can I find some tried and tested itineraries that might help me have a great trip. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Felleng Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Safaris
Pilanesberg Safaris and Tours
Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Ekala Eco Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,820 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bit of help, please: In/out of Joburg, 18 days, early Jan

The most common (and very rewarding for a first timer visitor) itinerary is:

Kruger Park (incuding Panorama Route/Blyde River Canyon)-Garden Route-Cape town

I would split 4/4/5 days/

Drive JHB-KNP, fly PE, drive down the Garden Route to CT, fly back JHB and home.

Very rough ideas.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bit of help, please: In/out of Joburg, 18 days, early Jan

Definitely Kruger National Park and the Mpumalanga scenic route (Pilgrim's Rest, 3 Sisters, etc)

NB if you do not fly from Mpumalanga (+-1400km ) or Johannesburg (+- 1000km) to Cape Town, you are in for an extremely long drive - but you will get to see the Karoo.

In Joburg there are many museums related to Mandela and Apaprtheid (Peacemakers Museum, Apartheid Museum etc) and in the Cape you get more historic museums (and Robben Island). Close to Joburg is the Cradle of Humankind. You can also opt to do the Hop-on/of tours in the city (same as in Cape Town).

Cape Town - get up Table Mountain and visit wine farms. Do not expect to swim in the ocean in this part of RSA - the water is really cold. Drive out of Cape Town towards Melkbosstrand.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Peacemakers Museum
Peacemakers Museum
14 Reviews
Johannesburg, South Africa
Apartheid Museum
Apartheid Museum
5,161 Reviews
Johannesburg, South Africa
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bit of help, please: In/out of Joburg, 18 days, early Jan

For a first time vist I'll split the days as follow:

1 or 2 nights Johannesburg - Soweto tour/Apartheid museum/Cradle of humankind etc - More a cultural side of SA if you are interested otherwise add the days to safari, fly to CPT.

5 nights Cape Town

2 nights Stellenbosch/Franschhoek (1 night only if you are not that into wine)

1 night Oudtshoorn

2 nights Knysna

1 night Storm river - Tsitsikamma nature reserve (or skip this and fly back from George and add night in Kruger)

Fly from PE to JHB, self drive to Kruger

1 night Panorama route (graskop a good base)

5 nights Kruger (self drive or Private reserve)

Mentioned in this post
Soweto
Soweto
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bit of help, please: In/out of Joburg, 18 days, early Jan

Do stop in Joburg for a few days and make sure you do a walking tour of the CBD. There are some great areas and the right guide will blow your mind with the history of the place and the re-generation over the last few years.

Liliesleaf farm (Joburg) is the best museum for learning about the Apartheid era. The apartheid museum is also quite good.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bit of help, please: In/out of Joburg, 18 days, early Jan

Thanks guys, very, very much appreciated.

6. Re: Bit of help, please: In/out of Joburg, 18 days, early Jan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 12:18