We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have three days in Johannesburg...how should I spend them?

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Topic
I have three days in Johannesburg...how should I spend them?

Hi. I am going to be in Johannesburg for a conference this September and will have three days to spend on my own before the conference starts. I am looking for some good advice as to where to go. I am not so much into shopping or restaurants, but would rather spend my time seeing cultural/historic aspects of the city and its surrounding areas. Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I have three days in Johannesburg...how should I spend them?

Apartheid Museum, MuseumAfrika, walking tour of the CBD or the hoho bus citysightseeing.co.za , tour of Soweto, Parktown-Westcliff Trust walking tour ( if you happen to be here on the right weekend), Melville Koppies (ditto), Satyagraha House, Lilliesleaf Farm, Origins Centre, Cradle of Humankind.

Also keep an eye on whatson.co.za to see if anything interesting pops up.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 13:56
Mentioned in this post
Apartheid Museum
Apartheid Museum
5,319 Reviews
Johannesburg, South Africa
Parktown
Parktown
38 Reviews
Melville Koppies
Melville Koppies
85 Reviews
Satyagraha House
Satyagraha House
139 Reviews
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have three days in Johannesburg...how should I spend them?

Do you have any interest in going on a safari? Then I'd suggest you spend 1day (1night if possible) doing a trip to Pilanesberg. The other day I'd spend exploring the Cradle of Human kind, including Maropeng and the Sterkfontein caves, and then I'd spend the last day doing a soweto / apartheid museum day trip.

Mentioned in this post
Pilanesberg National Park
North-West Province, South Africa
Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I have three days in Johannesburg...how should I spend them?

Hello Jeremy, three wonderful days to explore - thats great... there is much to see.

You can combine animals with culture and history. There are half day and full day tours available. Half day is normally around 5 hours from pick up to drop off and full day around 9 hours.

. You can do one day on the southern side of Johannesburg and any combination of the following: Soweto, Johannesburg City tour with Constitution Hill/Court, Apartheid Museum and the Gold Mine underground tour. You could probably, with a squeeze, combine 3 sights into a full day.

Then another day: Cradle of Humankind (Sterkfontein caves with Hominid Museum), then Cultural Village with African dancing and singing, then Rhino and Lion Park, all on the same day.

Then another day: Elephant interaction and Walk with open vehicle game drive, Monkey Sanctuary, Chameleon Village for lunch and Lion Park night drive.

Other options: Cheetah Research Centre, Mountain Cable Car, Walk with Elephants and Rhino and Lion Park.

Pretoria city tour, Diamond mine tour.

Full day Safari to the Pilanesberg Game Reserve: 4th largest in South Africa.

Here you can do a full day - starts at around 6am and drop off around 5pm. It takes 2 hours (depends on where you are staying) to get there.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Constitution Hill
Constitution Hill
1,274 Reviews
Apartheid Museum
Apartheid Museum
5,319 Reviews
Chameleon Village
Chameleon Village
159 Reviews
Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Pretoria
Pretoria
Gauteng, South Africa
Johannesburg...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have three days in Johannesburg...how should I spend them?

Hello Jeremy, when you decide to take a Soweto Township tour I suggest that you reserve a full day for it and should include a visit to Apartheid Museum, Hector Pieterson Museum (dedicated to the 1976

students uprising), Vilakazi Street Precinct (the only street in the world to have two Nobel Peace Prize winners as neighbours). You can visit cultural,

historical and heritage places such as Regina Mundi Church, Walter Sisulu Freedom Square and Credo Mutwa Cultural Village. Last but not least dont forget to have a buffet lunch at one of the many top restaurants that offer great South African cuisines. You can see also great buildings such as the Orlando Twin Towers, Soccer City Stadium. A full day tour usually takes about 8-9 hours, so you have plenty to do. Enjoy.

Nathan Ngwenya(Soweto Voyage-Owner Manager)

Edited: 26 August 2013, 15:57
Mentioned in this post
Apartheid Museum
Apartheid Museum
5,319 Reviews
Hector Pieterson Museum
Hector Pieterson Museum
434 Reviews
Soweto, South Africa
Vilakazi Street
Vilakazi Street
208 Reviews
Soweto, South Africa
Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I have three days in Johannesburg...how should I spend them?

Hello, you could also do an overnight safari, either to Kruger Park or Pilanesberg. A trip to Kruger park would involve a return flight, include a night safari drive and a full day game drive, you need two days for this.

Or Pilanesberg, self drive up to the reserve, a 2 hour drive, stay overnight at a lodge inside the reserve, and do open vehicle game drives with the lodge.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: I have three days in Johannesburg...how should I spend them?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 13:19