We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zulu nyala

LaPorte, Indiana
1 post
Save Topic
Zulu nyala

Going to zulu nyala in mid September 2012, Airport transfers are very costly. Would anyone be willing to team up on transfers to save some cash or share a rental car? We are planning to fly into Joberg and out of Capetown although plans are not set in stone at this time. we are a mid 50's couple. Please contact me for more information. Thanks...rich

Washington DC
Level Contributor
36 posts
598 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Zulu nyala

We'll be visiting Zulu Nyala in mid-July 2014. We are renting a car from Richard's Bay and self driving to the lodge, at the end of our stay we'll be driving back to Durban and flying from there.

If anyone is going to be there at that time and is interested in a ride or self-driving to nearby activities please feel free to be in touch. We've been planning our trip for the last year and are really looking forward to it now that it's just around the corner!

Valparaiso, IN
Level Contributor
13 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Zulu nyala

You are going to absolutely love it. We were there in May. Be especially careful on the highway to Zulu Nyala if you are driving at night. Others who drove to the resort said they saw some pretty bad accidents and the trucks drive a little recklessly.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
36 posts
598 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Zulu nyala

We did arrive to Richard's Bay after dark, and with some rain, but the drive to ZN was totally fine. It takes a little getting used to driving on the other side of the road, but you adjust quickly. The biggest thing is the trucks, but that's no different than what we're used to here at home. The road was one lane in each direction with a wide shoulder. We found it was custom to drive in the wide shoulder as far over as you could to let faster cars and trucks go by. We found ourselves driving on the shoulder the majority of the time of our drives, day and night. It's just easier and safer. The shoulder is as well paved as the road.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,820 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Zulu nyala

It's interesting to see how many of my fellow Americans make their first trip to South Africa - having bought time at Zulu Nyala at an auction. And - apparently - how little support Zulu Nyala provides to them, as they try to figure out how to get to the lodge. Those transfer costs mentioned above are reprehensible. And the challenge of driving on the left side of the road intimidates a number of these visitors. If the lodge takes a serious interest in this matter, I have not seen evidence of it. And they apparently offer not-much-help to visitors who want to some of the rest of South Africa.

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Zulu nyala

Dear J Batty. Are you going to drive yourself to Hluhluwe game drive. I believe it is about 20 minutes away? We are coming Oct. 1st. Thanks, Jodi

Edited: 11 August 2014, 13:01
Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Zulu nyala

Are you going to go to Hluhluwe NP” which is about a 20 minute drive from zulu nyala? I understand that to do it on your own it is $85 per person. I wonder how much Zulu Nyala is asking for when they take you? Thanks Jodi

27. Re: Zulu nyala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2017, 21:18
Get answers to your questions about Hluhluwe