We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Times and Distances

leeds
Level Contributor
122 posts
295 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Times and Distances

I'm visiting Kwazulu Natal in November. I was wondering how far it is, and how long it will take to drive in a 4WD between HluHluwe Umfolozi Park to Sodwana Bay, then to St Lucia. I was planning on spending maybe 4 nights visiting the 3 areas. Is that feasible or would I spend all the time driving?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Times and Distances

According to my maps, From Nyalazi gate to Sodwana, and back to St. Lucia is about 350 Km.

Easliy "do able" in your time frame, in easy stages, as a lot of the trip is on reasonably good roads.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Times and Distances

Hello and I would allow 2 hours, thats leaving from Centenary Gate in the Hluhluwe section of the park and heading up to Sodwana. The roads are good but lorry's and occasional roadworks slow things down. As a rule I allow a minimum of an hour for every 100 kms shown on google directions. Depending to on where you are travelling to and from you might want to allocate at least another night. St Lucia is a lovely seaside town with huge wild beaches and sand dunes. Cape Vidal is well worth a visit and there are estuary tours. I stayed close to Sodwana in March but have not actually stayed in the town since 2006, but again lots of beach and ocean activities. I love Imfolozi and would always spend a couple of nights there in the self catering chalets at Mplia Camp. There are also lots of other great game reserves in that area of KZN. If you need any info I have a free information site and if I can help please ask.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

3. Re: Driving Times and Distances

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Hluhluwe