We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Nature Reserve

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Nature Reserve

Dear All,

I've only just started reading into the reserve and I'm already intrigued and thinking about a trip March 2014. I would appreciate any advice on how many days you can spend in the park and an idea from regular travels the routes/locations you have particularly enjoyed. Happy to self cater and stay in the more rustic/wild accommodation in the park - can this be linked in with other interesting trips in the area? Would plan to fly into Durbs and pick up a 4x4 so any info on local to airport truck hire companies much appreciated. Happy to spend a decent amount of time in the park to get some good sightings. Alternatively, if anyone has any good ideas for a March trip very happy to receive them!

Thanks very much in advance

Ands

6 replies to this topic
1. Re: Visit to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Nature Reserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 20:16
Edited: 31 March 2014, 20:16

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Nature Reserve

4x4 not needed. Although a higher vehicle is nice.

I would spend 2 nights on the Hluhluwe side and 2 nights on the Imfolozi side. This gives you a day to explore the roads around each camp and a day for a leisurely drive between the two.

Trips in the area best done by staying in St Lucia or somewhere around Hluhluwe town.

Salt Rock, South...
Level Contributor
250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Nature Reserve

We would spend the whole time in iMfolozi side and stay at either Mpila or Nselweni camps, both bookable on www.kznwildlife.com. Agreed, 4 nights, giving you 3 days would be ideal. This is because we always find the game viewing so much easier than in Hluhluwe and much more plentiful.

Agree with Lamlee for the rest of your stay around the area.

I would stick with Avis for car hire as they have the most locations in SA and also no requirement for a 4X4 just a SUV is perfect (X-Trail, Tuscon etc) unless you want to do the 4x4 trail in iMfolozi which is only about 5kms.

Cheers

Jack.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,021 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Nature Reserve

I've been to Hluhluwe a couple of times, and there's definitely enough there for a few days. I've heard great things about their walking trails (info here- http://www.ekznw.co.za/wilderness%20trails%20%20brochure.pdf). If I had a decent amount of time there, I'd do one of those.

For other parks in the area, I'd recommend Tembe.

Moose Jaw, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Nature Reserve

We have visited this park twice, and it is one of our favourites. The first time was strictly the Imfolozi side, and the second was spent equally between the two. Hands down the Imfolozi side is our pick. Stayed at Mpila camp in the chalets and the wildlife at your door was great. If you have time to do both sides, I'd say go for it, but lean more towards Imfolozi for number of nights. The shop on the Imfolozi side is not stocked near as well as the Hilltop shop so have most of your supplies prior to visiting this side. Stayed in St Lucia prior to hitting the park, and did an estuary cruise with Shakabarker (sp?) tours. It was great. We rented from First Car Rental at the Durban Airport and were mildly annoyed when they charged us $35 because there was sand on the floor of the vehicle. All because we spent one day at Cape Vidal - we certainly did not think the sand was excessive but it did not take away from the experience overall. We thought the rental desk was going to be open when we returned the car early in the morning (advertised as such) but it was not so could not have discussed with them, it was told to us later. This is a great park!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Nature Reserve

Hello and I have been many times to Hluhluwe-Imfolozii and I try and get there every year. As suggested above I would stay in either at Mpila Camp or Nselweni. Both of these are in the southern Imfolozi section where game viewing I have found to be better than that in the Hluhluwe section. However if you can spend 3 or 4 nights then make sure you spend some time in Hluhluwe. I have had great elephant sightings up there and there are wild dogs to in the north. You can stock up on provisions in Mtubutuba or St Lucia. Depending on time I would also look to stay in and around St Lucia and visit Cape Vidal. The new western shores is now also open and I took a couple of hours to have a look there last month. Its a lovely spot with lots of game. Its a stunning area generally and there are also some very resonably priced private lodges in the area to.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Reply to: Visit to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Nature Reserve
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hluhluwe