We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash Needed?

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Cash Needed?

We're traveling to Zulu Nyala Game Lodge at the end of July. I'll have some Rands and a credit card that I can use internationally. Will I need much cash? I'd like to use the credit card as much as possible.

Salt Rock, South...
Level Contributor
250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash Needed?

Generally you can pay with your card, you will need a small amount of cash for tolls on the N2 and if you buy anything from street vendors. If you need more cash you can always withdraw it from an ATM.

Cheers

Jack

Owner

The Saffron House Guest House

Salt Rock

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash Needed?

Hello and good advise above. I always make sure I have a spare R500 for fuel to as very occasionally I have had a problem at service stations using my foreign debit/credit card. Most places take a card these days. Look out for Zamimpilo market stall on the left as you head up to Zulu Nyala. Great place for local fruit, veg and curios.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash Needed?

Thank you!

West Tisbury...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash Needed?

I am travelling to ZN in the beginning of July actually, greetings fellow New Englander! I have read up a lot on the area and while that seems quite safe, I was told by a few people who have been to the region that it is always a good idea to have cash on hand. Now, granted, I have no idea how much! Also, I'm renting a car to get to ZN, but in all my travel books they say that the petrol stations ONLY take cash, but MarkH90, you say they take cards now? About how much is gas there anyway?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash Needed?

Hello and most service stations now take cards. They need chip & pin and a signature though.But like I said, always have a back up just in case. Most of these places to do have bank machines as well for withdraing cash.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash Needed?

The petrol price is reviewed monthly. Rarely gets adjusted downwards. It's currently sitting around 14 ZAR/litre. aa.co.za/on-the-road/…fuel-pricing.html

Edited: 29 June 2014, 23:15
Atlanta
Level Contributor
895 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash Needed?

I've got a similar question. We must pay our driver R2000 cash on Day 1 and then must pay our Soweto tour guide R3000 cash (Cashon Tour) on Day 2. I guess we will have to use ATM each day b/c I assume there are limits. Can anyone confirm withdrawal limit? In US, our bank allows $300 per day, but my gut tells me the limit will be contingent on the SA ATM rather than the US policy (or both???).

Salt Rock, South...
Level Contributor
250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash Needed?

Most ATM will be maximum R2000.00 but Nedbank will give you R3000.00. There is also the option of using the "Cashback" service offered by the major supermarkets Spar and Pick n' Pay.

Cheers

Jack

Owner

The Saffron House Guest House

Salt Rock

Atlanta
Level Contributor
895 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash Needed?

Thanks, Jack! that's good to know.

10. Re: Cash Needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about Hluhluwe