We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hluhluwe for a beginner

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
68 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Hluhluwe for a beginner

Having visited the Kruger regularly this will be my first visit to Hluhluwe–iMfolozi Park so I have a few questions if you don't mind.

We plan on staying 3 to 4 nights in the park doing self-drive and staying in self-catering accommodation.

1) Are there tarred roads or is it a combination of sand and tar?

2) Which part has the most animals (i.e. big 5) or are they pretty much evenly spread?

3) We are driving up from Durban – which camp is the best to stay for the first night?

4) We would like to drive top to bottom or bottom to top. Is it best to start at the top (Memorial Gate) or bottom (Cengeni gate) staying at different camps or can one base oneself in the middle and drive up and down over 3 days?

5) Is 3 days enough to see end to end without rushing……I am a seasoned Kruger Park visitor so understand taking ones time on safari?

6) Do the chalets/bungalows all have their own bbq (braai) facilities?

7) Do all camps have a convenient stores to buy wood, beers etc?

8) Are there picnic areas where one can hire a gas 'skottel' to make breakfast?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hluhluwe for a beginner

Hello and I try and get to HIP every year, its a great spot! The roads are a mix of tar and gravel and over the past year or so have had a big upgrade. The game is well spread. I always stuck to the southern Imfolozi section where I have had some great sightings. This year I spent more time in the northern Hluhluwe and was rewarded with some memorable encounters. I always think the key is to get out early, at first light. From Durban I would head to Mpila via the Nyalazi gate. The chalets are excellent and there re safari tents plus Nselweni. I have enjoyed all. You could have three nights in the south then head up to the north for a night? There are a lot of roads to cover and as you know its best to take your time. All the self catering accommodation has everything you need. I always stop off at Matubatuba and get all provisions including beer and charcoal. At times the shops in the park, only two, can be low on essentials. I would also fill the fuel tank to. Yes there are picnic spots and in the north you can hire a skottle. I have not done this but there were people hiring when I was there earlier this year.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
68 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hluhluwe for a beginner

Thanks Mark, that certainly gives me some insight. Would be nice if there was a web site giving all such info for newbies such as myself. i.e. a sort of a 4 day itinerary, where to stay, which camps have stores, petrol, where to hire skottels etc....maybe an idea for a blog for someone :)

Hopefully others will respond with similar suggestions to assist me in the planning of the visit. We are not camping people so would want a chalet/bungalow with bathroom and its own bbq facility.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hluhluwe for a beginner

No problem and I contribute to a site but sadly its very difficult to cover everything. Its also a very expensive hobby! I did send you a message here to. I have mentioned three places in Imfolozi that have all you need for self catering. You just need to stock up on provisions. There is petrol Mpila and Hilltop but to check on arrival if it will be available through your stay.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hluhluwe for a beginner

this is the official website.

we spent a day in the Park last year, Hilltop Camp looked very nice , it has a pool and a restaurant with views if you don't want to self cater

kznwildlife.com/hluhluwe-game-reserve.html

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hluhluwe for a beginner

Hluhluwe is a fraction of the size of Kruger. It is easy to visit both halves of the park in a day. I suspect this is one reason why there is a lack of info compared to planning for Kruger.

We also stock up at Mtubatuba on the way as the shop in Mpila is very basic and we plan our meals ahead so like to know we have everything. Braai facilities in the camps and in picnic areas.

When visiting we have stayed in Mpila or Hilltop but never both on the same trip. Just personal choice as we prefer to move on to nearby places such as Mkhuze for more habitat variety. We don't plan our game drive ibefore arriving as we like to find out the latest conditions and sightings then decide what to do. It is also worth checking if there are any animals at the game capture sight. The craft market there is worth a wander also. We usually have at least a drink if not lunch at Hilltop if staying at Mpila and scan from the terrace, looking for game. The night drives are a must for us too.

6. Re: Hluhluwe for a beginner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2017, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Hluhluwe