We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballito and Salt Rock

london
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ballito and Salt Rock

Hello. We have the chance to stay in Salt Rock for a couple of weeks this August, but my wife and I are worried about crime. Is it safe to drive about the area, walk down the street in the daytime etc....

thanks for your help.

Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
258 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ballito and Salt Rock

I would advise you to grab the chance - I see from your travel map that you have never been to SA, you will love it.

The KZNatal north coast, Umhlanga Rocks, Ballito, Salt rock are lovely areas, popular with tourists, and safe to drive around and go to the beach or walk around during the day. It is really a fabulous beach destination and you can swim in the warm Indian Ocean all year round. From there you can easily go to the Northen KZNatal game parks, Hluhluwe, Phinda ect and the Lake St Lucia wetlands.

SA has crime, but no more so than other destinations like Rio, and some parts of New York or even London !! as long as you are aware and follow the suggested guidelines for tourists.

london
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ballito and Salt Rock

Thanks for your reply. We've decided against SA, not because of the crime but due to the travelling time and connecting flight we'd have to get. W'th a 9 month old that would be quite a challenge. There's always next year!

Salt Rock, South...
Level Contributor
255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ballito and Salt Rock

Hi, you have chosen a great place to stay, the area has everything you would want, great beaches, shops restaurants and loads of things to do and visit. Durban is only 45kms away if you need the city.

There is very little crime, mainly house break-ins as many of the properties are summer getaway places and stay empty for the rest of the year. You can walk around during the day, just watch out if you see anything suspicious just walk the other way, at night time use the car.

4. Re: Ballito and Salt Rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Ballito