We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zimbali lodge or zimbali resort? Which is best?

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Zimbali lodge or zimbali resort? Which is best?

Which is best and why?

11 replies to this topic
Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zimbali lodge or zimbali resort? Which is best?

This is my question too - and sadly nobody has answered. Did you ever find out?

essex
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zimbali lodge or zimbali resort? Which is best?

Stayed at the resort in February for 2 weeks and thought it was fantastic. The whole Zimbali estate is lovely with lots of wonderful pools and a beach club. We visited the Lodge on a couple of occasions for dinner in the Thandi restaurant and the food was faultless but we did not like the look of the lodge thought it looked dark and dirty. The staff at the resort could not do enough for us and greeted us by name every time we went into the lobby. The room was bright and spacious and the breakfast had so much choice. If I had to choose I would definitely go to the resort.

essex
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zimbali lodge or zimbali resort? Which is best?

Stayed at the resort in February for 2 weeks and thought it was fantastic. The whole Zimbali estate is lovely with lots of wonderful pools and a beach club. We visited the Lodge on a couple of occasions for dinner in the Thandi restaurant and the food was faultless but we did not like the look of the lodge thought it looked dark and dirty. The staff at the resort could not do enough for us and greeted us by name every time we went into the lobby. The room was bright and spacious and the breakfast had so much choice. If I had to choose I would definitely go to the resort.

Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zimbali lodge or zimbali resort? Which is best?

Thanks wellergirl, that's really helpful. I was leaning towards the resort but there have been some negative reviews recently which had me a bit worried.

essex
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zimbali lodge or zimbali resort? Which is best?

There were also some before we went but we had nothing to worry about. The service was mostly ok bit hit and miss in some areas but then you remember you are in Africa. If you go make sure you visit the valley of pools. We had friends who live locally who took us there, but without them we wouldn't have known about this pool. The resort have shuttles and will take you wherever you are. One gripe was that they could not change our sterling but offered to drive us to and from the bank to do this.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zimbali lodge or zimbali resort? Which is best?

Hi Dalearch - I have also had hardly any responses to any questions I have asked except for the toppic I posted asking about Durban D/E's. There i have had about 40 responses and its turned out to be an interesting topic. I have a client who has a home in Zimbali and we can rent it from her. I was also wondering what it would be like there on the Estate and if it was a better idea than Umhlanga.

Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zimbali lodge or zimbali resort? Which is best?

Hey diva, I will be spending a week in Umhlanga and then a couple of days at Zimbali in June so I will be able to give some feedback after that. I have spent some time in Umhlanga before - staying at the Beverly Hills Hotel, Oyster Box Hotel (wonderful) and my sister's flat just next door in the Oysterschelles complex. I love Umhlanga for the beach, village and shopping at Gateway, but I am hoping for a couple of days "back to nature" at Zimbali, which sounds like a good option for luxury with a bit of the wild side thrown in! Fingers crossed...

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zimbali lodge or zimbali resort? Which is best?

Hi Dale, That is the time I will b there. June

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zimbali lodge or zimbali resort? Which is best?

I just cannot decide whether to stay in Umhlanga or Zimbali. I have a clients place I can rent in Zimbali but didnt want nothing to do.

Ballito, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Zimbali lodge or zimbali resort? Which is best?

I have lived in the Zimbali Estate for eight years now, previously living in Umhlanga for eight years. Zimbali is a truly wonderful place. It is an upmarket golf course estate that is right on the beach. Some houses are around the golf course and others in the forest overlooking the beach. We have a variety of swimming pools to lounge around at - some more suited to families with kids others better for those who want peace and quiet. We have tennis and squash courts, quiet brick roads to run or cycle on and it is a truly beautiful place with lots to do. The Fairmont Resort is only a couple of years old and is a "large modern hotel", while the Fairmont Lodge is about 10 years old and is in the African Colonial Style - smaller and more intimate, but in a grand old style. If you have kids - go to the Resort - if you want a quieter time - go to the Lodge. You can also rent a house or apartment in Zimbali. Most come with a free golf-cart. This is how most residents get around the Estate and is such fun. Ballito (town/village) is 5 minutes away for shopping/restaurants etc. Zimbali beats Umhlanga hands down. There is absolutely no comparison. However, if you want crowds and noise and lots of people - go to Umhlanga. If you want elegance and luxury, nature and beauty come to Zimbali.

Reply to: Zimbali lodge or zimbali resort? Which is best?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ballito