We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballito or Umhlanga

Northumberland
Level Contributor
3 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Ballito or Umhlanga

We are a mature couple (one with mobility issues) flying from the UK to Durban in February. We would like to spend our 1st two nights recovering from the long flight at a beach resort. Should we choose Ballito or Umhlanga - or neither?

7 replies to this topic
Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ballito or Umhlanga

I really like Umhlanga, and its where i choose to go on holiday. It has lovely white sandy beaches, and safe swimming. Lovely hotels, my favourite is the Oyster Box Hotel, which is right on the beach. If you want a cheaper option, look at the Breakers Resort. I sometimes rent a self catering suite, also right on the beach and lovely place. Lots of lovely restaurants to eat and a very good place to chill out and relax.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ballito or Umhlanga

I second Umhlanga and if you can afford the Oyster box treat yourself with a stay in this marvelous hotel.

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ballito or Umhlanga

Umhlanga gets my vote too. Oyster Box is truly stunning, but pricey. Protea have a couple of good hotels here if you are looking for something slightly less expensive, or the Beverley Hills Hotel is also a popular choice.

Tracey - Owner/Director, Travel Butlers

Northumberland
Level Contributor
3 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ballito or Umhlanga

Many thanks to all of you for your helpful comments. The Oyster Box looks lovely if we decide for a real treat - what room type would you recommend?

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ballito or Umhlanga

Can you safely swim in the ocean in front of the Oyster Box Hotel? It looks like it's pretty rocky. (If not, how far away is a safe swimming beach?)

Thanks.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ballito or Umhlanga

The main beach is walking distance, so easy to work in a bit of swimming in the ocean. And the oyster box has a lovely swimming pool. Just note that KZN not always the safest place to swim with very strong currents, but thousands swim there every year, just take care. For room type, any ocean view room rather than garden view.

Pretoria
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ballito or Umhlanga

They are both lovely - Umhlanga is bigger, busier and more expensive, whereas Ballito is smaller. Both are visited or owned by people that is quite well-off, financially.

Reply to: Ballito or Umhlanga
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ballito