We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger Park Map

Weatherford...
Level Contributor
178 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Kruger Park Map

I have read that you can buy a really good Kruger map at the gate when you enter the park. Can anyone give me the precise name or publisher of that map? How much do they cost? I am a planner, and would love to have that same map to study before we leave. Any ideas on where I can order the map? Is there another "best map" that someone has found that was useful to their trip planning to Kruger?

Denisa

Bournemouth, Dorset
Level Contributor
222 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger Park Map

Published by jacana media +27 11 6283200

Www.jacana.co.za

Priced at R28.

Just checked the website and it is out of print at the moment.

Best to keep checking if you want it before you go. It's really good. Will be using it in 4 weeks time!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger Park Map

I wrote this a few days ago:

Regarding KNP, I purchased the Kruger National Park Map by Honeyguide Publications at the first rest camp I stopped at in KNP. The thin, approximately 8" x 11" booklet cost me somewhere between $5-10 a few years back. In addition to the maps of KNP, the book includes open/close times, a distance table, and pictures of the wildlife you'll likely see (which you can use as a check list). A really useful book and nice souvenir that I highly recommend.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger Park Map

many thanks steve,

like the original poster, I also like to get some ideas before I leave.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kruger Park Map

Very welcome.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
950 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kruger Park Map

I am not sure you can buy maps, books or whatever at gates, unless the gate is right next to a camp, like Crocodile Bridge or Orpen

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kruger Park Map

Hello

Yes the book recommended by Steve is by far the best IMHO. We still consider it our bible, even use it at home for planning and always have a couple for souvenirs.

It has a lion on the cover and the very basic title of Kruger National Park Map

Not only has road maps, but also maps of the camps, contact numbers, distances, eco zones, tables of distances, gate opening times and much more.

Also has some 300 photos of birds and animals, the birds pics in particular you will find very handy.

On the lower back cover you will see it is by Honeyguide Publications, hopefully should still be <R50.

You might need an extra copy, one to write on and toss around in the car, one to keep.

Weatherford...
Level Contributor
178 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kruger Park Map

Thanks so much for your thorough descriptions! I have found a publication that has the same title and publisher at Amazon, but there are no photos of the book in the ad. So I can't match it visually to your wonderful descriptions. I'm a little worried that the copyright date is 2005. Is there a newer version? Also the price is $19.99, so it is more than I expected. Maybe I haven't found the correct book.

Denisa

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kruger Park Map

Seems the same but that sounds too expensive to me. I suggest that you wait until you get to KNP and get 3 for the same price.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kruger Park Map

Hi Denisa

I just had a look at Amazon and by the description and review it certainly sounds like the same one. Especially as the person said they bought it at the park.

I would still be cautious though.

Wouldn't worry about the date, nothing would have changed much in that time plus it still may have been updated. However the price is definitely a bit high. There is another similar book in the camp shops, I really think they would all stock a map of some kind so if you wait I imagine you would get something if the first shop is out of stock.

I guess it all comes down to how keen you are to have it before you go!

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kruger Park Map

I was just at KNP and must say that not all the gates had the Honeyguide Map. They sell maps with a lion face on it but it is not the one we are all referring to as the best companion one can have on a self-drive safari. Please make sure it is the Honeyguide one.

I found them at the Skukuza, Lower Sabie and Satara camps selling for R60. I remember buying my first one for R15.

I ended up buying a few extras to give to my guests from the US.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Heeten, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview/Boston

Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park